Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Anyone that\'s ever used an Avalon 737 LOOK!!

Thanks Allen, I think they'll make a nice couple.

Old 01-19-2003, 03:11 PM

Hello Allen,
Yep I whole heartedly agree,... The products you name are great ones and if I had the choice, I would've went that route (neve clone with bomb factory compressor plug ins)unfortunately I had a total of $1500 to spend on a preamp AND a compressor...After weighing out all the options, a used Avalon seemed like the best option and I was getting eq as an added bonus...My budget couldn't step into those other set ups no way no how....And I searched high and low...I did get a used Avalon for the $1500....DA/AD converters are next on the list...
Old 01-19-2003, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moonmusic:
Hello Allen,
Yep I whole heartedly agree,... The products you name are great ones and if I had the choice, I would've went that route (neve clone with bomb factory compressor plug ins)unfortunately I had a total of $1500 to spend on a preamp AND a compressor...After weighing out all the options, a used Avalon seemed like the best option and I was getting eq as an added bonus...My budget couldn't step into those other set ups no way no how....And I searched high and low...I did get a used Avalon for the $1500....DA/AD converters are next on the list...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can get the one channel Great River now for around 950.00. Sell the Avalon and you will have money for a Lucid converter too.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2003, 07:00 PM

Hey Allen, what do you think about the Pre's in the Trak 2 vs Avalon 737 pre?

Thanks in advance.

Jotown:)
Old 01-19-2003, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jotown:

Thanks in advance.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I never heard the Trak 2 but I've heard it has a good converter.
Allen
Old 01-19-2003, 07:52 PM

Allen,

have you heard the FMR RNP compared to the great river piece?
Old 01-19-2003, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloux:
Allen,

have you heard the FMR RNP compared to the great river piece?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No but I'm looking forward to hearing it. I've heard nothing but great things about it, especially at the price it is selling for. May just be the pre of choice for PTLE users. It is hard to beat those Neve 1073 pres or the vintage APIs, but if anyone can do it FMR can.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Jotown:

Thanks in advance.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I never heard the Trak 2 but I've heard it has a good converter.
Allen
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The converters are excellent, thats why I got it. But the pre' is very nice also. I was just looking for comparisons.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the additional info guys...I think I found the problem...On the side of the adaptor, it says the XLR side is Low Z Balanced and the 1/4 inch end is Hi Z Unbalanced....So basically everything is balanced but the adaptor so that brings me to another question...Is there such a thing as an XLR female to 1/4 inch male BALANCED adaptor?...Or maybe I just need to get a balanced cable that's XLR female on one end and 1/4 inch male on the other....Thanks...Ted
Old 01-20-2003, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by moonmusic:
Hello Guys,
I just got an Avalon VT737SP and I am having a hard time getting this puppy under control...I have a U87 -10DB pad ON....Going to the 737 mic input, then out of the 737 xlr out with a mic cable into input 5 of the 002 via one of those xlr to 1/4inch adaptors...the input switch on the 002 is set to +4db...I've tried many settings including the ones in the manual to get started but I'm getting distortion and the alot of gain...Even with the outputs set to 0db on the 737, I'm still getting distortion....I was just wondering if everyone has this much trouble getting a decent sound out of it? This isn't the first preamp I've ever used so I don't know what I'm doing wrong...Any info would be great...Thanks...Ted
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ted,
I don't mean to start an argument here and I've always told it the way I see it so take this with some honey. I used the 737SP for awhile in my studio and was very dissapointed with its performance. I know it has its uses in certain places. I A/Bd it to a couple other high end preamps. and ended up sending it back for a Great River MP-2NV solid state stereo preamp that just plain rocks for most purposes compared to the 737sp and far more head room too. www.greatriverelectronics.com The other thing I didn't like about the 737sp is that it took mine about 30 minutes to warm the tubes up and the company recommends replacing the tubes yearly depending on how much it is used. No more tubes for me. The MP-2NV is better for digital recording too as it takes some of the digital edginess off. That combined with a Cransong HEDD 192 converter then SPDIF into the 001 is the Cat's Meow. I'd put it up against the new Digi HD system anytime. I'd also check out www.brentaverill.com for his Neve and API clones. Hard to beat these preamps for the money.
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm blowing smoke, just hate seeing people taken advantage of by companies with great marketing and average products.
Good luck,