Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Default Making my final mix LOUDER

Hi all, i'm new to this whole pro tools thing as of about a week ago, but i've finished rough copies of a couple of different songs. When i bounce them and burn them to a CD, though, the resulting file is MUCH quieter than any other CD i own.

How should i go about adding volume to my mixes? Do i need to do something special with the normalizer, equalizer, and compression, or do i need to increase the volume using a different program, after bouncing them?

Also, i realize that mastering would fix this problem, but i'm simply trying to put together a solo acoustic demo and i'm not willing to put out the cash for professional mastering. I'm looking for a do-it-myself fix to the low volume of my mixes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Making my final mix LOUDER

If you just want brute force loudness, try the free demo of the Massey L2700 Mastering Limiter. Try the 'Vibrant' mode. You'll get some insight on what, if anything, needs to be changed in your mix.

EDIT: Just noticed you're doing an acoustic demo; maybe try the 'Smooth' mode instead.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 AM

The only problem i'm running into with the Massey is that i'm using an the intel chipset, so most plugins haven't been upgraded yet...not cool

I also forgot to mention - i'm able to push the mix to where my master track is reaching near-clip levels throughout, but it still remains quiet after bouncing it. Any way to increase the volume without causing it to clip?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 AM

Hey Coolwhip, and welcome to the DUC. This question comes up regularly here on the DUC. If you search the DUC, you'll find a ton of great info from really smart engineers. Go to "Search", and read the "Advanced Search Tips" tab. Try looking for words like mastering, loud mix, etc. Now, to actually answer your question, making mixes louder calls for the fine art of mastering. The best way to master your music is to hire a professional mastering engineer, for a lot of reasons. To attempt to master it yourself using PT LE, try any/all of: EQ, limiting, compression, multi-band processing, brick wall limiting, dithering, and normalizing. Be careful not to over process the dynamics.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 AM

if your not looking to spend any money, try using the bf76 that came with pro-tools. just don't over due it or it will pump. alot. I use t-racks to do my own self mastering. lots of people in the duc are completely against it, but it works great for me. before i bought t-racks, i used the la-2a compressor(bombfactory) that i have, and that worked o.k. but, t-racks has been my savior. i also use the t-racks compressor for my snare, and the t-racks e.q. for almost everything. i don't know how i lived without it. only problem is it costs about $300 bills. i guess thats what credit cards are for. good luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 AM

HI,

try this on how make it not sounding squashed:
http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

then try setting array of DIGI´s DynIII Compressor and the DynIII Limiter at the end.
I would choose DynIII over BF76 since the BF76 usually is suited better for more
´characterful´ purposes (as is the T-racks stuff which IMHO is not capable of mastering tasks)
´mastering´ purposes, although a try would not hurt.

This is a NOT an instant overnight technique to learn to setup right,
it will take WEEKS rather than days till you may be satified with the result.
Experiment a lot, take long enough breaks (at least a Day)

do some research on the DUC on mastering.

regs

Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:

How should i go about adding volume to my mixes?

Thanks in advance!

this is a question for the ages!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Check out Ozone3 from Izotope.

It works well for the price. I noticed the same thing. My meters would be nice and up there in the Pro Tools session, but pop the mix into iTunes and it would be way softer than my CD files.

Ozone will fix that.It has multiband EQ, mastering reverb, stereo imaging, loudness maximizer, compressor, exciter etc.

If used tastefully you can really improve your mix.

Maybe there are better mastering plug ins, but it works nicely for me and the price was right. It lists for $249, I got mine at audiomidi.com for $199.

One negative if you have a slow computer. It is a CPU hog. You are best off mixing down and bouncing to disc and then importing the mixed file into a new session for mastering, so you are not dealing with all the plugins as well on the session.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Do a web search for these words.

VU
Peak
Dynamics
Crest Factor

But then why would you want to squash the $#!& out of a solo accoustic piece anyway???
Old 06-21-2006, 04:25 PM

Volume in the latter stage of mixing and mastering is often achieved with accurate EQ, there are various limiters, multi band limiters etc, but if your not that experienced in final stage mixing my advice would be to bounce your stereo mix at a low level, import it into a new session on a stereo track, then simply normalise the entire track. if this still isnt sounding louder then you will have some severe dynamic issues (which you'll be able to see in the wave) or your mix is lacking an even spead of frequencies and you'll need to go back to your mix and fill in the gaps (EQ). Don't fall into the trap of squashed stereo limiting, Waves L1 and Maxim are notorious for turning your mix into a big square block of crap even when used in moderation, mastering houses use extremely advanced look ahead limiters and almost completely transparent hardware limiters which unless you have a friend with Pyramix and a 33609 lying around, you wont have access to.

If your serious about recording (ie releasing a demo or something) you could speak to your local mastering studio, if theyre nice guys (which many are) they might listen to your track and tell you what you need to do, especially if they think your gonna pay them to master it.