Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Default 002 line ins vs. Soundcraft mixer preamps

Hello to all. Couple of semi-newbie questions here. I make dance/hip-hop tracks on an MPC (8 output version) and various synth modules. I run everything through a Soundcraft Spirit M8 mixer while performing and arranging. My question is when It comes time to record the audio to pro tools, should I run the audio from MPC and synths into my mixer inputs and then direct out to the digi 002? OR would I get better sound running all audio outs directly to the 002 and bypass the Soundcraft mixer. Currently I use the mixer/direct out setup because I like being able to eq a little bit on the way in (low cuts on hi-hats, etc), and get strong, relative signal levels levels before touching the pro tools mixer - so the mixer setup has that advantage. But I think some of the recorded audio in pro tools sounds a little thin compared to playback on the MPC, Would plugging directly into the 002 make things sound any better/fuller/warmer? How would you folks do it?

Also the only piece of outboard gear I have (for now) is an FMR Audio RNC compressor that I use as an insert on the Soundcraft when recording vocals to Pro Tools. I've never used it in the MPC/Synth tracking process. Should I? Or should I handle all drum machine/synth compression duties in Pro Tools during the mix process? Thank You for any tips and advice. Much Appreciated.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: 002 line ins vs. Soundcraft mixer preamps

Try the doing it both ways and see which sounds better, which, i think would be using the soundcraft as you stated. Remember that the direct outs are probably Post Pre-amp, which means the EQ has no effect to what is being sent to the OO2. Of course you will hear the eq if you monitor thru the soundcraft. I noticed that you use the eq while tracking, so check your manual and see what it says.

I have an RNC and love it for vocals. Try it on pianos, pads....any stereo synth, except maybe bass, never had good luck with the rnc on bass, giutar or synth.

I use a DA7 digital mixer and a dbx 386 w/ various pres EQ's and compressors in the signal path into an 001. I skipp all the digi converters and use an external clock too.

hope this helps

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: 002 line ins vs. Soundcraft mixer preamps

The direct outs On The Soundcraft can be switched between pre/post fade. I have them all in the post position. I plan on trying both connections at some point when i have time to spare - just wondering what I can expect (if anything) to make it worth while.