Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 AM

Default How to Lower all Tracks Volume In Edit Screen

I get Mixes all the time where the Tracks are recorded so Hot they're clipping.. Sometimes Maxed into the Red at the top of the Faders.

I've searched here & YouTube. I haven't found the answer..

In the Edit Window/Screen is there a Shortcut to Lower all the Tracks Volume levels at the same time?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2020, 10:07 AM

Default How to Lower all Tracks Volume In Edit Screen

Few ways to do it.

Insert a Trim plugin on the first insert on the first track, set it to -10dB and then duplicate it to every other track. I think it’s Option + click and drag to the next insert slot.

Or you could simply select all tracks in the session, click Control + Option and turn them down. Alternatively, enable the All group and pull the faders down.

Lastly, you could manually alter the clip gain on all tracks. Select all tracks, hold Control + Option and use the arrow key la or scroll wheel on your mouse to lower the level.

Personally, I’d go with option 1 or 3.

But, if these tracks are that hot, are they not clipped? If so, lowering them won’t remove the clipping unless they were recorded at 32bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 05-27-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Re: How to Lower all Tracks Volume In Edit Screen

Lots to consider here......
1-If things go red with faders up, are you using POST-fade metering? Personally, I use PRE-fade metering 99.5% of the time. I balance things with my ears. I only use post metering if I am balancing several similar tracks(like a dozen BGV tracks or a bunch of individual violin tracks).
2-Adding the TRIM plugin can work well, but my personal choice is to place in the last insert slot(but I know I am not clipping ahead of that). In fact, I have TRIM built into all my session templates(set to -8 and all bypassed). Once tracking is done, I enable the plugins in one shot and my entire mix drops by 8db, but relative mix is maintained.
3-Make a group of all AUDIO and INSTRUMENT tracks>enable the group>drag the volume on any one of those tracks down>disable the group. That drops the mix by that many db, but keeps relative balances pretty much intact. Caveat: adjust volume AFTER the last breakpoint(if you don't and you can see all the volume lines, you'll see why this matters)
4-if you know things are hot in the early stages, use CLIP GAIN and lower everything.
5-stop recording so hot. Yellow is the new red, so get record level just into the yellow. There is no good reason to slam the input as you have no tape hiss to stay above(but DO always record at 24 bits)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-27-2020, 02:33 PM

Well put Albee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 05-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Yes, first thing is to make sure you have pre-fader metering so you know what your AUDIO is doing insteand of what your processing does.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all your replies.. Very helpful..