Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 AM

Default Digi002r going to "kick the bucket" soon?

Just a quick question. I'm thinking of buying a LE system for my fiance to have while she's traveling so that I can send her projects, but I really can't see any difference between the two rack versions of the 00x for our intents and purposes. However, I'm just wondering how long will Digidesign support the 002. By support, I mean compatibility with PTLE software. I'll go 003 if the 002 will be phased out soon.

Anyone know, or cares to guess?
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Digi002r going to "kick the bucket" soon?

My guess is that the 002 will be supported for a good amount of time simply because it is so similar to the 003. If you want to stay as compact as possible(no external mic pre's) then I would go 003 as it sounds slightly better.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Hi. Do not buy an 002R. Seriously. There was a huge design flaw with this piece of gear. There's a connectivity problem with the power harness. Digi will overnight you one when you need it, but it's a real pain. I've had an 002R for a few years now and wish I never bought it.
As I write this reply, my 002R has gone into "not working" status. This means, I open it up, unplug the wires, clean them, put it back together. It's become so bad I find myself doing this at least 3 or 4 times a week.
The best is when someone is over and we're in the middle of a session and it happens. And I say "hang on, just gotta open this *%#@ up and mess with the wires." RETARDED.

That being said. Buy an 003. I would be amazed if this actually happened to the next generation.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM

...Was at the local music store yesterday. Noticed 3 digi002R sitting on the shelf waiting to be fixed.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:59 PM

I did the open up the unit and scraping the contacts twice so far in five years with my 002 control surface. My 002R has not had this problem yet. the key word is "yet." Oxidation is the culprit. If you are having to do this 3-4 times a week, that is a pain. I read your other post about leaving the cover unscrewed to make this process quicker. I read that on some units, Digidesign sends our not just a replacement power harnes but also a new power supply. Could it be that you have a problem with the power supply too? I've moved my setup out of the basement where moisture in the air may have increased the oxidation problem and so far, things have kept working. I've heard people that run the air conditioner continuously also have a higher incidence of this. Otherwise I still like my 002/002R

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstudio View Post
Hi. Do not buy an 002R. Seriously. There was a huge design flaw with this piece of gear. There's a connectivity problem with the power harness. Digi will overnight you one when you need it, but it's a real pain.
Wow, drama... replacing the power harness is the easiest thing in the world, and it is free from Digi. The Digi002 I have has been stellar for me and you couldn't get me to upgrade to a 003R. THe issue was only with a certain range of Serial numbers and it is well documented which serial numbers were effected. If you are gonna buy a used one, which I suggest, you could always ask them for the serial number in advance. If it fits, ask that person to call Digi and order the power harness contingent upon the sale. It will cost them nothing and you will have one in your possession if you need it down the line. Either way, don't be scared of the power harness issues, they are well documented and very easy to fix.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Hi. Do not buy an 002R. Seriously. There was a huge design flaw with this piece of gear. There's a connectivity problem with the power harness. Digi will overnight you one when you need it, but it's a real pain.
never heard of people having the same problem after they installed the replacement.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 12-08-2008, 05:55 PM

I am having it right now, it acts right when it wants too... I just bought a Signature series 002R so I am getting rid of my console. I might have to try and replace the power supply and then sell it at 100%. When I cut it on it hangs sometimes....if I tap on the top by the digi circle it will it unhang and go to stanby mode. Then after a while it will hang.....does not matter if its connected to the computer or not. Its got to be the power supply.....I just dont want to spend the money to replace it....cause I don't need it anymore.
Apollo X6. Apollo Twin.UAD2 Satellite
BLA XB Clock
SSL Fusion
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM

as mentioned above, just call Digi, if it is registered they will take care of it, it is simple.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the helpful insight and opinions!

Anyone care to share what range of serial numbers are affected? Upon research is appears to only affect units that were manufactured before those units with serial numbers ending in G? Is this true? Am I right to assume that the 002 is also affected and not just the 002r?

Thanks for any further help. If this proves to be really that catastrophic, I will have to go with the 003. But, the general consensus seems to be that the harness issues are easily fixed and once remedied doesn't rear it's ugly head again.