Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-28-2003, 12:58 PM

Default OT - sampling from someone elses CD

I was just listening to a part in a song with just a drum groove and bass. I was wondering what are the ramifications of sampling a measure or two from that song, or any song, just sampling the drums, no vocals, and use it for our own purposes, to build a song around? Is that legal or some kind of copyright infringement? I hear so many snippets that would be great to import in a PT session, one measure, mind you, and create endless loops, change the eq, etc. and use it to compose.

Old 11-28-2003, 02:48 PM

Default Re: OT - sampling from someone elses CD

Thousands of hit songs have been produced using this method, it dates back to the earliest days of samplers. Of course, it is technically illegal, but people still do it all the time (including myself), particularily in hip-hop. In some cases, a label will take care of the licensing costs to use the sample in one of their artist's song but when doing this for your demo, I wouldn't stress over it, if it sounds good and you're not selling your material to a wide audience, then by all means, use it and move on. Having said that, I'd recommend using more obscure and not-so-recognizable material to sample, and get creative with it, which usually makes for a more interesting product.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:44 PM

I wouldn't stress over it, if it sounds good and you're not selling your material to a wide audience, then by all means, use it and move on.

There are plenty of royalty free loops that you can purchase. You do not have to use them because eveyone else does.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:47 PM

If you plan to make money off it. Don't do it. If its promo no big deal.

Wiz