Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Default Protools OS

I'm not a windows/OSX hater, but isn't it a waste of time making protools for two commercial OS's, when Digidesign could just compile there own linux kernal, tweaked and fine-tuned for their DAW's? I mean with the amount of time spent getting it to run smoothly on two OS's that always have major software releases with a new bag of bugs to deal with, wouldn't it be better to have their own to have full control over.

Am I totally out to lunch here?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Protools OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantida View Post
I'm not a windows/OSX hater, but isn't it a waste of time making protools for two commercial OS's, when Digidesign could just compile there own linux kernal, tweaked and fine-tuned for their DAW's? I mean with the amount of time spent getting it to run smoothly on two OS's that always have major software releases with a new bag of bugs to deal with, wouldn't it be better to have their own to have full control over.

Am I totally out to lunch here?
Well... no one uses Linux? Name a commercial DAW that runs on Linux...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 AM

Whole lot of people would jump to Linux if Protools only worked on it. It would be sad day when OSX support would end, but I'd still prefer using PT on Linux than Logic on OSX. And I wouldn't touch anything on Windows.

If my only choices were a DAW on Windows and oldskool hardware, I would choose oldskool way. Mixing to tape is soon kind of lost art...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Whole lot of people would jump to Linux if Protools only worked on it. It would be sad day when OSX support would end, but I'd still prefer using PT on Linux than Logic on OSX. And I wouldn't touch anything on Windows.

If my only choices were a DAW on Windows and oldskool hardware, I would choose oldskool way. Mixing to tape is soon kind of lost art...
I have made more albums on windows than I can count and it continues to work 7 days a week for me. Not sure what else a person could ask for.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 AM

It's just simple logistics, to me.

Pro Tools is commercial software, and it works on commercial OSes. Most people have OSX or Windows. When you buy a computer, it comes with one of those two on it. Most of the reason why people buy Macs is so they can do as little maintenance is possible. Linux is not a simple OS, and it exists in several versions. So what do you make it work for? Ubuntu? Red Hat? It's not just about creating a binary... it has to work with the GUI. Plus... now every plugin designer ever has to rebuild plugins for linux that no one ever does ever.

At this point in the game, Avid does NOT need the hassle of a new OS. They need to focus on keeping what they already have.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 AM

I really don't care what OS it runs on, as long as it runs.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 AM

Wow, the OP's idea is my idea of a nightmare! A DAW is not an exclusively PT workstation. Radar failed for good reason. When you buy into a total DAW system like the PT system, it is expected and assumed that that DAW system will be your complete system. I NEED run iTunes, Quicktime Toast, Logic etc etc etc etc etc. Ouch, could you imagine, being STUCK in a exclusively Digidesign system? I would need two powerful computers, running in parallel with mouse and screen switching because there is no way in hell I could exclusively use a closed system. Again, this concept has been tried in an excellent sounding system, RADAR, and failed.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:53 AM

In may assessment, what the OP is asking for is a DAW appliance. In other words a system that is an Audio Appliance.

In my studio I have three systems that never are on the network (unless rare occasions when I need to authorize a license and there is no alternative) The OS (be it Windows or OSX) is my 'kernel' to the DAW applications. Typically I run multiple audio products and since I am running on the two big OS's I can be somewhat assured the developers of those applications are fully testing on the two big dogs.

I use Sound Forge and CD Architect a lot, I doubt that Sony would add testing and certification to AOS (Avid OS) to their current effort.

I have an Alesis HD-24 that is my true audio appliance. It definitely is running some OS to support I/O, Disk and FTP. But for sure I can't run PT on it.

-D
Old 07-21-2012, 05:46 AM

What would be so wrong with a Protools exclusive OS with no bloat ware, non-needed services/background cluttering up the system. Only the essentials to run ProTools smooth and solid, that requires no tweaking. A very minimalist aproach. If you want iTunes, Logic, Final Cut, etc... dual boot into what ever.

IDK, if I had that as an option, I'd be all over it.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantida View Post
What would be so wrong with a Protools exclusive OS with no bloat ware, non-needed services/background cluttering up the system.
Zero third party plug-ins? That could be a problem.