Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Blinking STOP/PLAY transport buttons PLAYBACK ISSUE

Just registered here on the forum....I'm having this same issue as well....I mostly notice it when creating new sessions, not so much when opening existing sessions.

Anybody else having this issue? Any fix on the way, Mr Digi?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpardo View Post
Just registered here on the forum....I'm having this same issue as well....I mostly notice it when creating new sessions, not so much when opening existing sessions.

Anybody else having this issue? Any fix on the way, Mr Digi?
Knowing more about your system would help a lot. See the Help Us Help You thread...

Most of these play/stop issues have been fixed in recent CS releases for Pro Tools. If you continue to experience problems, it's most likely due to having incompatible plug-ins installed, you're engaging a particular mode, you have a very short selection and don't realize it or there are other configuration issues that would need to be sorted out.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM

Hey people,

Unfortunately, this issue is a longstanding one. Much of what I've read on the forum about this particular anomaly is consistent with what I would certainly call a "bug", especially considering it occurs cross-platform with an incredible variety of hardware/3rd-party software implementation. There are posts dating back 4-5 years about this and as far as I know it hasn't been fixed.

It's been happening to me intermittently for years...for me, it's usually brought on by a period of inactivity...taking some sort of break for an inordinate amount of time. I thought that was it...usually a quit/restart of PT does the trick...you can't just close/re-open the session.

However, the fact that it still happens at all is absolutely effing ridiculous. It's program-related for sure. It used to happen to me even BEFORE I had installed any 3rd-party plugs OR any Digi software bundled with PT, so I don't want to hear it.

I've been running PTLE on a G5 for years with Avastor HDX drives. I've used other drives and it happened then too. All this switching parameters and settings and preferences and resetting junk is putting a Band-Aid on a laceration that obviously needs a few stitches. I mean, SO WHAT I can turn it off and turn it back on again and it MIGHT work for a bit before it happens again...but everyone KNOWS that no one should HAVE TO.

Fix it already, and show us that you REALLY care Digi.

Thnx.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
Fix it already, and show us that you REALLY care Digi.
As I mentioned above, 7.4 and certain recent CS releases for 7.4 should have addressed a majority of any play/stop issues. There was only one that exhibited itself in our testing (and even that was much less frequently) - if you leave your computer on and Pro Tools session open for extended periods (like more than 4-6 hours). All others seemed to be fixed or reduced greatly in frequency.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM

PT LE 7.4.2 on a Mac Pro 8 core OSX 10.5.4

I leave the computer inactive for a few hours with a PT session open and yes there it is - the non-functional blinking play button. It's as if PT over an extended period of inactivity loses touch with the hardware or something. Anyway a reboot of PT gets it working again. Having said that I have to agree that rebooting should not be necessary so I guess we still don't have an ideal world. But we're workin' on it right Digi?
PTLE Subscription - pending
Interface - pending
Midi Controller =M-Audio Axiom 49/USB2
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman6 View Post
Checked H/W buffer and changed to 1024 samples. RTAS Processors running = 2, CPU Usage Limit = 90%, DAE Playback Buffer = 8. Still have the same problem when I set all that and try to playback from the session. Blinking STOP button and then 3 blinks from PLAY button (looks like its trying to sync to something but I have no idea what since I have nothing selected to sync).
Perfect! It worked here and solved the problem. I noticed it happens more with MIDI. I never experienced it with pure audio recording before.

Thanks for helping!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM

We run into this problem constantly and it's crazy-making. There's some common key command that is standard in every other app except in PT, and it activates either the Metronome or the Tempo Ruler enable, resulting in flashing transport buttons.

Conclusion: check your transport using expanded view w/ MIDI controls and disable Metronome and Tempo Ruler.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
for now I just disable the 2nd processor.
Changing the processor used to something else and then back to the previous setting fixed it for me without restarting.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

Exclamation Re: Blinking STOP/PLAY transport buttons PLAYBACK ISSUE

Reviving a dead thread - I've got this, or something VERY similar, happening in PT 9.0.3. (Haven't tried 9.0.4 yet).

It's more consistent, now, and has a workaround, but still frustrating. Basically, whenever I do a bounce to disk (to mp3, specifically) on certain sessions, afterwards I get the play/stop flash behavior - only the buttons don't actually flash. I hit play, PT thinks, then stops. The 'fix' is to open the Playback Engine dialog, switch the hardware buffer to something else, then switch it back, then close the PB Engine window.

The workaround 'works' most of the time but it's still very frustrating.

PT 9.0.3, Complete Toolkit, OSX 10.6.6, Mac Pro 8 Core 3ghz, 5gb RAM. Current plugins in the session: Reaktor, Massive, Omnisphere, Maschine, Decapitator, McDSP ML4000. Using Pro Tools Aggregate IO.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 AM

I have this problem once in a while. Hitting the "alt option" key resumes normal operation.
http://immersivesoundvr.com/