How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2020, 07:55 AM

Default MIDI/Input Quantizing/Ghost in the Machine

Hello experts,

I've gone over some of the previous posts here about PT2019 and MIDI input being auto-quantized, and I have checked all my settings to ensure nothing is set to do so... yet, literally out of nowhere, playing my MIDI piano into PT2019.12 just started quantizing (or moving around) my input notes dramatically different than the way I am playing them. I'm talking, 1/2 notes suddenly moved ahead of when they were played by 'n' amount, and the really weird thing is it's not even to the grid. (slip or grid, doesn't matter)
FWIW, I have used PT since 2011, and until this last week in Apr 2020, I have not once EVER had a recorded MIDI note "slide around on it's own". What I'm really trying to determine is if I broke something in PT itself without knowing, or if my MIDI hardware is on the fritz. I do not believe the MIDI Out on my new Kronos SE could be at fault, but I guess anything's possible.
At first, I thought I messed up note "resolution"? but I do not even see a property for that in PT. Figured that was handled by the Mac Audio Setup and MOTU drivers, and maybe PT doesn't care. But again, this is literally... out of nowhere. Just suddenly started happening about 2 weeks ago.

The first time I really noticed something wrong was when I was recording a MIDI track using my Hammond XK-3C and busted out a palm slide, and PT MIDI literally recorded every note on the same beat, some with 2s lengths which boggled me, since I've done Organ/Slides in MIDI in the past and never saw this (which is why I'm starting to blame my MOTU 128 Express interface)

So the general question to y'all, is there a really obvious "button" I may have accidentally pushed in PT that changes MIDI Input? FYI, Input Quantize is off, as is Preferences > MIDI > Display Events as modified Real-Time Properties. And of course, no In-Track RT properties are enabled... checked that first.

Anyway, confused, and a lot frustrated as this has completely halted any work I was doing with MIDI, which is 90% of what I do daily. Thanks in advance for any tips or enlightenment on what I may have done wrong.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:27 AM

Default Re: MIDI/Input Quantizing/Ghost in the Machine

Trashing prefs is step #1 for "odd behavior" and this sure sounds odd to me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 PM

Thanks, albee. Good advice, and while likely true, should we really need to continually "trash prefs" when Pro Tools suddenly starts acting a little weird? Seems excessive.

I ask because I just "trashed prefs" recently for another issue floating around these forums with my name on it :) I recall this because sometimes I go in and find my preferences are not what they should be, then remembered "Oh right, I trashed them prefs recently".

I'll give it a whirl, though. Can't hurt, except my soul.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Get Pete Gate's app to save, trash and restore your Preferences.

First thing any Avid support person will advise is to close Pro Tools, Trash Preferences and Data Bases, empty Trash, Reboot and start Pro Tools.

I Trash Preferences after updating/upgrading/uninstalling/installing anything remotely connected to Pro Tools and, on general principles, once a week or before any critical session.

Yes, Pro Tools can be that fragile.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Get Pete Gate's app to save, trash and restore your Preferences.
Thank you! I will check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Yes, Pro Tools can be that fragile.
This is sad to hear, being forced to go this route just to keep using our favorite tool(s). FWIW, I have used PT since 9LE... May 2011. This is the first time (ever) MIDI has freaked out. So you guys are probably right. I'll also add, MacOS Catalina is new'ish, though I have had numerous sessions since Catalina that didn't exhibit this behavior (which is why I started to blame my MOTU 128)

I'll give this advice a whirl, and report back either way. Thanks again, both.