Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Default MBox Pro - Ejecting Device from Firewire Connection

Hello,

Was wondering if I'm just missing something or worrying a bit too much?

I have an MBox Pro... just upgraded to PT 7.4.2 on OS X 10.5.3. I connect my MBox via Firewire. Before the Leopard compatibility update, I noticed there was no way to eject the MBox, as I would another device, such as an external drive or a DV camera. I assumed this was just part of the issues that would be fixed with the 7.4.2 update.

Today, though, I've found that there is still no way for the MBox to be ejected from the machine. I get the device removal warning when I unplug it. I'm using a MacBook Pro, so there's a lot of mobility involved and I'm afraid that I will end up damaging either the machine or the MBox by continuing to unplug with no proper ejection.

I realize I could use USB, but my USB ports are usually occupied by other devices, such as MIDI controllers, and sometimes an external drive is daisy chained through the MBox. (The drive shows up, and I can eject it, just not the MBox).

Any recommendations or solutions, or is this something that may come in a future PT update?

Thank you.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Default Re: MBox Pro - Ejecting Device from Firewire Connection

Hmmm, Shut down, Un-Plug?

My only FW device is a 002 on a desktop so there is never a need to eject it. I'm not sure the 002 needs to be ejected. My understanding of ejecting/unmounting of drives is to ensure that all file transfers or modifications to the file system have taken place before the device is powered off. Since the 002 has no file system I doubt if it need to be ejected. Hopefully if I'm wrong some one will chime in.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Hmmm, Shut down, Un-Plug?

My only FW device is a 002 on a desktop so there is never a need to eject it. I'm not sure the 002 needs to be ejected. My understanding of ejecting/unmounting of drives is to ensure that all file transfers or modifications to the file system have taken place before the device is powered off. Since the 002 has no file system I doubt if it need to be ejected. Hopefully if I'm wrong some one will chime in.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your reply...

I have made it a habit of shutting down, before unplugging, but there's been a few times, where I've forgotten that I hadn't already done so, because I'm used to ejecting all Firewire devices long before I actually remove the plug.

It's still helpful, what you've described regarding file transfer and ejection... it would make sense here, too. I just don't want to muck anything up.

This kinda sorta helps too...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...Number=1265156

It indicates that as long as Pro Tools is shut down, and no other applications are using the MBox at the moment (anything using audio would be set to Built-in Audio) then there would be no communication problems... leaving the likelihood of corruption or other errors to occur.