Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Novation X-Station as a MIDI control surface

This actually isn't a question, it's information. I guess it's also a request for additional documentation if anyone has some. Like, what the heck are all the selection and scrubbing features on the CS-10, and how to they translate back to a device like the X-Station? That's just an example. What I'd really like is to be spoon fed some great document that tells me everything I need to know regarding Pro Tools and X-Station control stuff.

So, in the spirit of spoon feeding, I wrote an article that describes in detail how to set up the X-Station to work with Pro Tools on the most basic level:

http://vanderwall.org/dave/x-station_pt.html

This isn't exactly new information, but rather a consolidation of info from Digi, Novation, PT Newbie, and a Sound On Sound article. I searched and couldn't find much in the way of specifics for the X-Station (with the notable exception of the Sound On Sound article), so figured I would try to contribute something for others who may also be searching.

Enjoy!

Dave VanderWall

EDIT: Replaced blog link with something more readable.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Novation X-Station as a MIDI control surface

Thank You !! You are the first person to answer my question, before I had to re-articulate it a 73rd time and not have to go to 18 different websites to read articles about things I didn't understand. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Novation X-Station as a MIDI control surface

Right on! That makes it all worthwhile. Plus, I'll actually get a hit on something next time I search The DUC for "X-Station".

There is a less blog-like version of the same info here. Hopefully it is a bit easier to read and print.

I'd still like to know if anyone has additional info about how to control other CS-10 functions that aren't documented, like the scrub/jog wheel. Is the X-Station not capable of sending the proper 2's compliment messages? (Not sure if I'm articulating that correctly.)

Cheers,

Dave VanderWall