Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 02:19 PM

Default PT HD, FCP, and AJA/Kona

A couple of questions.

1) Is anyone using AJA Kona cards or AJA firewire IO boxes to output video when using Pro Tools? Does it work well?

2) Are there any problems with having a PTHD card and an AJA Kona card in the same G5? What if you throw an Aurora Igniter X in the mix?

Thanks for any input!

Chris
Old 05-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: PT HD, FCP, and AJA/Kona

Quote:
A couple of questions.

1) Is anyone using AJA Kona cards or AJA firewire IO boxes to output video when using Pro Tools? Does it work well?

2) Are there any problems with having a PTHD card and an AJA Kona card in the same G5? What if you throw an Aurora Igniter X in the mix?

Thanks for any input!

Chris
Although this may not be answering your question directly, this may be the only way to do what you are asking.

There are several people using Kona cards with VirtualVTR and Pro Tools. Of course the VirtualVTR is running with the Kona on a dedicated CPU.

I should imagine you would be asking for trouble trying to use a raw data PCI video card like Kona with Pro Tools in the same CPU, since every frame of Picture feeding the kona will travel across the PCI as an uncompressed frame (>20MB/sec) even if its stored compressed on the hard disc. If you are running HD video it is typically > 120MB/sec.

Using VirtualVTR, you can run fantastic quality Hi Definition video (1080 lines), using the DVCProHD codec (runs off one hard disc), slaving seamlessly to Pro Tools. This is a breakthrough for audio post, since its now cheap, easy and logistically viable, now that DVCProHD can be used on a single hard disc.

AJA I/O also works well with VirtualVTR.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: PT HD, FCP, and AJA/Kona

I'm wondering the same thing. We've got a situation where we need to have one of our PTHD rooms also do some off-line video editing. The Dual-2G that house the PT cards would also house an AJA KNOA, but they would NOT operate at the same time... it's an either/or situation. I can't see that there should be any conflicts, but just thought I'd check here.

Thanks...