Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Irritating bug in PT9HD (Not a bug)

my apologies if a smiliar thread has already been posted.

After one day with PT9 I've found my first irritating little bug. The system usage window is not updating! Here are my steps. New session. One audio track. Instantiate a TDM plug-in. Remove plug-in. instantiate a different plug-in. Remove that plug-in. Rinse and repeat several times and then end with removing the final plug-in. The system usage window still shows every plug-in you opened. Will happily share a screenshot and a screen recording (without sound, as isight won't work with Snow Leopard ) if someone can tell me how to do that here.

My apologies if a smiliar thread has already been posted.

All feedback welcome!

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Irritating bug in PT9HD

You have DSP caching turned on in the System Usage window perhaps?

If you had it set to off previosuly it will be back on after installing PT9!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
You have DSP caching turned on in the System Usage window perhaps?

If you had it set to off previosuly it will be back on after installing PT9!!!
Hey Dave, how are ya mate? Brand new computer. Brand new install. Nothing there before. DSP caching turned on in the System Usage window perhaps? .. sorry I can't say I know of this? Not seeing anything?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Ok Dave. Found it! That was a quick fix! Thanks! Not even sure that was ever a feature in PT7 (I missed out on 8)

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulgeorgeringo View Post
Hey Dave, how are ya mate? Brand new computer. Brand new install. Nothing there before. DSP caching turned on in the System Usage window perhaps? .. sorry I can't say I know of this? Not seeing anything?
Very well and thanks for asking !!!

New install = DSP Cache on I think.

There's little sub menu in the System Usage Window. To the far right of where it lists one of your HD cards there's a little round button with a downward pointing arrow. Click on this and you'll find DSP Cache is turned on.

Check out page 89 of the PT HD User Guide if your wondering what it's for. I always turn it off so I know how much DSP I've got left.

EDIT:
Cool, you found it when I was typing!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 AM

After EACH install be that full or update the installer deletes your preferences.. So you WILL have to remember to re-dis-enable the CACHE in the System Usage Window.

I am ALWAYS in trouble when this cache is ON...

I HATE caches.... They are the root to ALL evil (Courtesy of OS X and Steve Jobs)

Caches make everything seem a little faster but in reality they are just messing up everything
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
After EACH install be that full or update the installer deletes your preferences.. So you WILL have to remember to re-dis-enable the CACHE in the System Usage Window.

I am ALWAYS in trouble when this cache is ON...

I HATE caches.... They are the root to ALL evil (Courtesy of OS X and Steve Jobs)

Caches make everything seem a little faster but in reality they are just messing up everything
Hmmm... I've run my system with DSP cache enabled for over a year now.... Absolutely no problems. Just purge the cache when it fills up with plugs that have been removed from the session. Simple and very effective. Saves tons of time on big sessions when opening files with large track/plug-in counts.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com