Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Freeze function

The coolest function in Logic (my opinion), is the freeze button. You just click the button on the whatever track you want to freeze, and your soft-instruments/effects are printed to audio and the cpu load from those plug-ins is gone. Another click of the button and you can go back to fooling with the settings.

This is a very convenient function that I would like to see in Pro Tools. Of course, you can bounce your tracks in PT, but the ease of being able to do it with one click is great.

Anyhow, that is my wish list (for today). Thank you for your time.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Freeze function

Just how fast does L8 render? 2x, 3x faster than real-time? Can you Batch or Group render? Where is the audio placed, does it create a new track. What formats can this feature render too? If Pro Tools had this feature could you use third party plugs and instruments?

filosofem
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 AM

I'll try to explain it better.

Each track as a freeze button, just like the mute/solo/record/etc... buttons. You click the freeze button on the tracks you would like to freeze (i.e., soft instrument, lots of plug-ins....). Then, when you click play to listen to the song, a progress window pops up that says "freezing", and it scans through the song. This happens at a fast rate (maybe 10X? not sure exactly, but fast). Then your song starts playing with the frozen tracks.

I'm not certain where the audio files are stored. No new tracks are actually created. Your session looks exactly the same. Other than the "freezing" progress window that pops up when you first freeze something, and the CPU savings, the function is transparent to the user.

The really important part of the freeze function is that it is very easy and convenient to use, which is just about the opposite of everything else in Logic. In Protools, I'll create a new audio track, bus the track I want to freeze to that track, record to the track in real time, and then click "hide and deactivate" on the original track. I do this all the time, as I imagine many people do.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:44 PM

I totally agree, it would be great to have this feature in PT, I used Cubase for a while and it had this feature too, it's very handy.

It's really nothing at all clever either under the hood, I know in Cubase it would create a new .wav file that is the "bounce" of the track with all the effects and some (but not all I don't think) of the automation and play that back until you unfroze the track to edit things again. The freezing in Cubase was fast, say 10 to 15 seconds on a 4 minute mono track.

You could still adjust or automate the volume, panning and maybe some other stuff, can't remember.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not certain where the audio files are stored. No new tracks are actually created.
Really, so are MIDI and Audio tracks the same thing in L8 or are these rendered audio files played offline so to speak? What about perferences, can you render to say MP3 or AIFF/WAV formats with defined Bit Depths, what about Resample Quality?

filosofem
Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Hi Ziko, so Bypassed plugs won't render? Cubase, that's VST/VSTi right, was there any VSTi (Instruments) that wouldn't allow you to render or were all VSTi whether third-party or proprietary supported?

filosofem