Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Copy EQ settings to new track

Hi Folks,

I expect this is a really simple thing, but I can't find ant reference to it in the many handbooks I'm working with. Surely there is a way to copy EQ settings from one channel to another or to multiple channels. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the process. I've searched for EQ, copy EQ settings, etc but don't come up with anything.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Copy EQ settings to new track

Two ways. (Not sitting in front of my rig right now, but if memory serves:)
Under settings, you can "save settings as..." which I highly recommend, because you can name it anything you want and have it ready to go next time. Or you can Copy Settings under the drop down menu, then open up the eq on the next track, and Paste settings. Or, and this is REALLY slick, ALT-CLICK the EQ and just drag in over to the new track. It takes the settings with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
ALT-CLICK the EQ and just drag in over to the new track. It takes the settings with it.
This is how I most often copy settings, if I need to.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
This is how I most often copy settings, if I need to.
Amen to that^^^. Even if the destination track has an EQ inserted, dropping the copied plugin(on the same slot) will replace it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Amen to that^^^. Even if the destination track has an EQ inserted, dropping the copied plugin(on the same slot) will replace it.
But, isn`t it so, that by replacing the EQ on the destination track, you thereby delete an already existing automation made with this EQ; because the dragged EQ replaces the existing automation with his automation (for the whole session duration) ?

Wouldn`t it be safer to :
- desired EQ-setting, plugin open : Cmd+Shift+C
- destination track : make a selection
- destination EQ , plugin open : Cmd+Shift+V
- write-to-all-enabled (automation window : only plugin enabled, other plugins automation safe)
?

Or :
- track with the desired EQ setting : put one parameter of EQ in track view, make selection that contains the EQ setting
- copy special plugin automation
- selection in destination track , Cmd+Alt+V (repeat-to-fill)
?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM

I want to I copy and paste eq settings to a certain region on a track without changing the eq settings that are specific to another region on the same track.
Every time I select a region from "track A" and paste eq settings to a region on "track B" it changes eq over the entire track. How do you make it specific to only the region (certain part of the timeline on the track) without disturbing the eq settings elsewhere on the track?

I am working on PT12. It is not HD. Maybe this is the difference? When I copy and paste on the same track it works.

Last edited by j dub; 09-23-2016 at 07:06 PM. Reason: adding info.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dub View Post
I want to I copy and paste eq settings to a certain region on a track without changing the eq settings that are specific to another region on the same track.
Every time I select a region from "track A" and paste eq settings to a region on "track B" it changes eq over the entire track. How do you make it specific to only the region (certain part of the timeline on the track) without disturbing the eq settings elsewhere on the track?

I am working on PT12. It is not HD. Maybe this is the difference? When I copy and paste on the same track it works.
In brief, use AudioSuite.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j dub View Post

... It is not HD. ...
How do you copy/paste the settings ? Via the plugin menu ?
If yes, try what I suggest in the post above yours :
select the clip in track A, put one parameter of the EQ in track view (does not matter which)
edit - copy special - plug in automation
select the clip in track B
edit - paste special - repeat to fill selection.
The EQ on track B must be "automation enabled" and in the same insert slot.

Merely copying/pasting settings from one plugin menu to the other will not write the automation to a selected clip on track B. That requires a "Write"-command, like write-to-all or write-to-all-enabled. But that is HD only.
And it requires, that previously (or a default) automation has been written on the EQ on track B before this action, so that this setting is written just to the one clip.
Copy special plugin and repeat-to-fill-selection is a workaround.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060