Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-16-2016, 11:57 PM

Default Xmon Question

Is there any advantage to using the main and surround outputs if I'm not doing surround?

My main studio Monitors are fed by the Cue Outputs.

Still trying to decide if I want to use my 2nd cue send for my second set of monitors, or use it as designed for my second cue send.

This whole Xmon wiring thing is kicking my butt. They made it way harder than it needed to be.

I'll take all the advice you are willing to give.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Xmon Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Is there any advantage to using the main and surround outputs if I'm not doing surround?

Still trying to decide if I want to use my 2nd cue send for my second set of monitors, or use it as designed for my second cue send.

This whole Xmon wiring thing is kicking my butt. They made it way harder than it needed to be.

Barry,
Do you have the install guide? Get that pdf, it spells it all out and it's easy.

You def want to use the main and alt speaker outs for speakers and the cue outs for cues. The D Command's monitor controller area is labeled accordingly and all that would be wrong if you did it the way you're saying. For example, do you want to control your main monitors by having the adjust the Cue1 control on the desk? Nope!! Also, things like auto talkback and auto listen mic operation (two of the best parts of X-Mon) wouldn't work.

Spend the time to set it up the way it was intended, you'll be happier in the end.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 AM

Also, did your unit come with the lean overlays for the automation "write to" changes?

Blue units have old labeling on them for these functions, which have changed, and Avid sent out a lean overlay to "fix" the issue.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Barry,
Do you have the install guide? Get that pdf, it spells it all out and it's easy.

You def want to use the main and alt speaker outs for speakers and the cue outs for cues. The D Command's monitor controller area is labeled accordingly and all that would be wrong if you did it the way you're saying. For example, do you want to control your main monitors by having the adjust the Cue1 control on the desk? Nope!! Also, things like auto talkback and auto listen mic operation (two of the best parts of X-Mon) wouldn't work.

Spend the time to set it up the way it was intended, you'll be happier in the end.
This!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post

I'm not sure why you're not using the main speaker outputs on the Xmon? I only ever work in stereo so if outs 1-2 on your interface are your main output pair you need to crosspatch output two to input 5 on the Xmon main inputs (the right input.) I do this on my patchbay but keep meaning to get a D-sub cable made up so that connection 2 at the Pro Tools interface end connects to connection 5 at the Xmon input end with all the other channels left unconnected.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:25 AM

The pinout on xmon is slightly weird because I think they favor post houses. But regardless it is pretty easy to setup if you just follow the pinouts. Set it up proper like others suggested to use the icon to its full potential

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 01:48 PM

Ok, took all the advice, thanks very much by the way. Side note, I am so glad I hung on to all my old DB25 cables, because you need a bunch of them!!!!! So much I/O waisted to accomodate Surround, anyway, I digress.

Now on to another issue I'm having, and this one is really strange. I have a Sub in my studio. I setup all the Monitors as I always have.

Main Ourtput D-Sub 1 & 5 cables, for L/R from Xmon, out to my Sub L/R In, L/R Out of my Sub to my Main Pair of Studio Monitors. Studio Monitors are working fine, but now, no Sub, at all. I unplug either the L or the R input to the Sub, the Sub kicks in. It does the same regardless if I unplug on of the two inputs coming from the Xmon to the Sub, or either one of the Sub Outputs that feed the Studio Monitors. There is no way this is all of a sudden an Issue with my Sub, its brand new and the odds are its working fine.

It acts as if I'm getting Phase Cancelation.

Any ideas?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp

Last edited by Barry Johns; 12-17-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:26 PM

Ended up being a bad D-Sub cable.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Also, did your unit come with the lean overlays for the automation "write to" changes?

Blue units have old labeling on them for these functions, which have changed, and Avid sent out a lean overlay to "fix" the issue.
As far as I know, I did not. Anyway you could take a picture of what you are talking about and post that?

Any idea where I can get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-18-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Also interested in this as well
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.