Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Default Transferring Licenses

I'm not sure if this where I post this particular question but here it goes:

I'm selling my DV Toolkit package to a friend and we have to transfer the iLok licenses over to his iLok account. It looks as though the DV Toolkit is made up of 4 individual licenses: DigiTranslator, Dv Toolkit, BNR LE and VocALign Project LE. Do we need to transfer all 4 for my friend to be able to use just the DV Toolkit part of it? He should probably have all of them, right?

Not sure if I'm making sense. It costs $25 to transfer each license so if he only has to pay for 1 then he'll take it. If he needs all 4 then it'll be $100 and not as cheap.

any insight would help.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Transferring Licenses

The cheapest way is to use a new ilok, you can add it to your account transfer as many licences to it as you like. Then you can delete from your account as long as it is within 7 days. Your friend can then add this to his account as if new. He can then transfer to an existing ilok if he wants, and still has a spare.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I have 2 iLoks in use already. Can I use one of those or do we need to get a brand new one that isn't registered to any account? I sort of get it but I'm a little confused.

I might try this tonight.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 AM

It must be a brand new ilok that has never been registered on any account. You can only delete an ilok from an account within 7 days of it first ever being registered.

Last edited by smfelton; 05-22-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfelton View Post
You can only delete an ilok from an account within 7 days of it first ever being registered.
You can also delete an EMPTY iLok from an account whenever you want.
I know it does not help in this case, I write it for someone who gets here by googling "delete ilok"
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
You can also delete an EMPTY iLok from an account whenever you want.
I know it does not help in this case, I write it for someone who gets here by googling "delete ilok"
If I erase an empty iLok from my account, can I sell it to someone else and can he register it to his account?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
If I erase an empty iLok from my account, can I sell it to someone else and can he register it to his account?
Yes, but it will not get the "grace period" - so this particular iLok can't be used to collect assets from other accounts.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM

I just read my own reply and I saw how complicated this matter is. Let me put it the long way (my language problems aside):

Let there be three guys: mr A, mr B and mr C.
A and B are experienced DAW users, owners of a huge number of Plugins; they have three iLoks each (let's name them A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3) while C is a Colorado-beetle-hunter who just won My-First-Protools together with a Big Mac at a lottery.
A, B & C are friends, they meet at bbqs and stuff, so they can talk like this:

C: "Yo, guys! I just got my PT, would ya give me some of your unused plugins?"

A&B (unison): "Yes! No prob! Got an iLok?"

C: "Nope"

A: "That's no prob, I can move my licenses from A3 to my other iLoks, remove the then-empty A3 from my account and give it to ya"

C: "Do it, man! Do it now!"

It happened. C created an iLok.com account, installed all the appropriate drivers, connected the empty-removed-A3 iLok, synchronized and became a proud owner of a used iLok (called C1 from now on).

A&B decided to give (for free) 10 of their plugins each to C to make him happy. They found, they can simply transfer their licences to C's account. BUT!!! every transfer costs 25 USD!! That makes 2*10*25=500 USD!!!

A&B&C (unison): "Oh, gosh!!"

Now the Wizard comes out of nowhere:

Wizard: "C! Go to Tesco, buy a BRAND NEW iLok for USD 50, that'll make you happy"

Wizard disappears.

[New scene; C has a Brand New iLok in his hand; A, B and C have their A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1 iLoks; there is also a notebook on the table]

Mr A inserts that Brand_New_iLok into the notebook's USB slot, logs in to his iLok.com account, synchronizes. He sees a new A4 iLok, moves 10 licences onto it and REMOVES the A4 CONTAINING licenses from his account (he can do it because of the one week "grace period" for Brand New, never registered iLoks). Now B does the same: logs in, synchronizes, moves licences, removes iLok.
Finally C logs in and synchronizes. He discovers being an owner of 20 licenses on his new C2 iLok. For some reason he decides to move three of them to C1.

A, B & C visit Tesco again and spend that spare 450 USD on beverages to stay happy
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM

:)
Old 07-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Bobby, is it a bit clearer now?? I'm not sure