Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Re: I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!! Still haven't figured out individual headphone amp sends! H

I use the furman head set HD6 system as well and have about 9 of them strung about the place. And the C24. No problems, But i did have go through a few configs until i found the best solution. To much to type here man. Email me direct

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Re: I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!! Still haven't figured out individual headphone amp sends! H

I'm about to start a session but I'll send you a proper E-mail soon. Thanks. -J
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Avid

Default Re: FRUSTRATED

Let's do a quick test.

Take a track that has audio on it and that you can normally hear through your monitors. Now ADD an output to it - say Analog 3 for now. Connect the output 3 from the back of the 003 to something that you KNOW works - your amp or powered monitors input, for instance. What we're going to do is verify that you're getting signal from that output. Once you know if you are or aren't you can then determine what the problem may be. If you DO get output, you'll know that the fault lies somewhere in your headphone amp system.

If you DON'T get output, then we have to start somewhere looking elsewhere. I'll await your reply before continuing...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Re:FRUSTRATED

Hello again . . .

I usually utilize the four outputs on the Furman along with my Line 6 pods . . . as I would have one side going into Pro Tools and the other side feeding the headphone amp, so that they mix themselves that way . . . later on, we just re-record the guitars with a proper amp and whatnot, but that's another thread for another day.

All that to say, when I get down there again, I'll try your experiment just to be certain that all is okay on the Furman side, but I wanted to at least mention that I am fairly certain that the four Furman mono inputs work just fine.

One question I'd like to ask while we wait for me to get back to the studio in the morning again, is exactly what kind of cable should I have connected between the Digi's outputs (let's say 3,4,5 and 6, since that's what I'm trying to use) and the Furman's four mono inputs? I'm pretty sure I'm getting multiple outputs to show up on-screen . . . it shows me the main out, but it also shows a "check" next to "output 3" for example . . .

I ask this simply due to the kind of cables connecting the Digi 003 to the C/24 are described as "digital cable" in alot of the things I've read, and I wondered if I just have the WRONG cables? Does it have to be a "T/R/S" on one end and a mono signal on the Furman side? Just asking. By the way, when I'm choosing my "output send" button onscreen, should I be choosing an OUTPUT or a BUS ?

I tried a TRS cable (TRS on both ends) and it didn't work, and I've tried an old snake that I had in the studio with 1/4" mono connectors on both ends . . . and no dice there either. Obviously, I need to try your experiment, and then we'll know exactly what is or is NOT happening on the back of that Digi 003.

Anyway, between you and the guy from Fullsound in WA, I'm learning lots of new stuff about this . . . um, stuff. Thank you both, and I will be back.
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Avid

Default Re: FRUSTRATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zone View Post
Hello again . . .

I usually utilize the four outputs on the Furman along with my Line 6 pods . . . as I would have one side going into Pro Tools and the other side feeding the headphone amp, so that they mix themselves that way . . . later on, we just re-record the guitars with a proper amp and whatnot, but that's another thread for another day.

All that to say, when I get down there again, I'll try your experiment just to be certain that all is okay on the Furman side, but I wanted to at least mention that I am fairly certain that the four Furman mono inputs work just fine.
Ok, we'll assume that for now.

Quote:
One question I'd like to ask while we wait for me to get back to the studio in the morning again, is exactly what kind of cable should I have connected between the Digi's outputs (let's say 3,4,5 and 6, since that's what I'm trying to use) and the Furman's four mono inputs? I'm pretty sure I'm getting multiple outputs to show up on-screen . . . it shows me the main out, but it also shows a "check" next to "output 3" for example . . .
The 003 has 1/4" outputs, so you would use a standard 1/4" cable - unless, of course, you're routing those outputs to the C|24 - if you're doing that, it may be easiest to just disconnect the outputs from the 003 that are going to the C|24, rather than going through the trouble of routing it through the C|24. It will be easier this way and, once you're more familiar with signal routing and the C|24, you can reconfigure it as needed.

Quote:
I ask this simply due to the kind of cables connecting the Digi 003 to the C/24 are described as "digital cable" in alot of the things I've read, and I wondered if I just have the WRONG cables? Does it have to be a "T/R/S" on one end and a mono signal on the Furman side? Just asking. By the way, when I'm choosing my "output send" button onscreen, should I be choosing an OUTPUT or a BUS ?
The cables should be 1/4" on both ends, either balanced or unbalanced. Connect the #3,4,5 and 6 outputs from the 003 to the channel inputs on the Furman. Then route from Pro Tools as indicated previously. This should get you a direct signal output from the 003 to the Furman.

Quote:
I tried a TRS cable (TRS on both ends) and it didn't work, and I've tried an old snake that I had in the studio with 1/4" mono connectors on both ends . . . and no dice there either. Obviously, I need to try your experiment, and then we'll know exactly what is or is NOT happening on the back of that Digi 003.
I think that would be best - that way we know if we're getting output from the 003, which is key to having this work.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Default Almost got it . . . One issue left to solve.

I have ALMOST figured it out, obviously with the help of you guys.

It is so simple that I never could have came up with it without all the various ideas presented. I don't even USE a patchbay, as one of my brethren here does . . . but I'm getting there.

SO!! For every other schmo like myself that doesn't know what to do, this is ALL I did.

Connect four MONO 1/4" cables between the #3,4,5 and 6 outputs on the back of the Digi 003 TO the four mono inputs that are very obviously numbered 1-4 on the back of the Furman HDS-6.

Look on the mix screen, and observe the "output" button just below the "input" button we all know and love. Usually, these outputs are being sent to the Analog 1-2, S/PDIF L-R (Stereo) output, unless you're bussing them to a common AUX, as I do often when EQing several tracks of the same vocalist.

On my Mac Pro, ALL I DO to ADD another output, (saaaay, one of the MONO output lines that would allow you to "make your own mix" on one of the HDS-6's "sattelite" headphone boxes) is HOLD DOWN THE "CONTROL KEY on the FAR LEFT at the bottom of the keyboard.

What this does, to be totally BASIC for anybody that is new to this (or like me, and just had no idea that this COULD BE DONE after almost ten years of working alone with Pro Tools) . . . is allow you to send the SAME EXACT SIGNAL to both your stereo output AND the headphone monitor inputs . . .

NOW!!! The only thing I cannot figure out, and it's THE BIG ONE, is that once I have a track enabled to record, I can no longer hear it on the mono input on the Furman. All my pre-recorded tracks are working beautifully, so I think it's a pre-fader issue, but I have not yet figured it out!! PLEASE educate me on where I can find the control needed to get this happening.

If you can tell me where to find this LAST LINK IN THE CHAIN, then I am so happy that it's almost embarrassing. Thank you very much and God bless the DUC.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Start with your I/O setup page(open protools but you don't need to open a session). Make sure that all the output paths are available, or add them.

I would make sure you have (in addition to the main outs) 4 mono paths assigned to outputs 3,4,5 & 6 (label them Furman 1, Furman 2, etc). I would even add a stereo output on 7&8 just in case(always looking forward).
THIS must be my problem but I just don't know how to do it and hear live audio coming through the individual mono input from the Furman.

I do find it interesting that I record my voice to the track, I cannot hear it through the mono Furman input, but as soon as I stop recording and press PLAY, the sound is totally available to be listened to, even with "record" still enabled . . . It's gotta be something simple . . . . I need to understand the I/O better but right now I'm confused. That's gotta be it. It's the only thing left.

I'm getting there . . . . I'll become a Pro Tools engineer yet. ha ha ha
Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 PM

go to your tracks menu and choose input only monitoring...

see if that works...

I'm not sure but it seems since your using multiple outputs there would be no need to create a pre fader send....

Is your control room headphone mix hooked up to your C24 or the Furman?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:52 PM

Shortly I will return to the studio and I'll try "input only monitoring" . . . I'm gonna assume that it's somewhere in the drop menu from the top of the screen. I've got the reference guide out, so I'll look up the term.

This may be something I'm already supposed to know but I do not. Not yet.

I'm getting my main stereo mix from the C/24 but my four mono outputs are being sent directly from the back of the Digi 003.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Default Creating a "Pre Fader Send"???

This must be my only possible option. I have tried just about every configuration I can imagine and I've still got nothing. Well, I DO get signal to run to the input but it's got a latency issue . . . it's about a 1/2 second behind. Nobody can record like that.

I am still not getting this right.