Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Default Avid, I need to know about future support!

DIGITECHSUPPORT, please reply... I know you're always around...

So they say:

Quote:
Q: Is Pro Tools 10 the last new software release for the original Pro Tools|HD hardware?
A: Yes. Pro Tools 10 will be the final full version release to support Pro Tools|HD (TDM) hardware and legacy "Digidesign" audio interfaces, as we make our transition to a full 64-bit application. That said, we're offering fantastic deals to Pro Tools|HD customers to crossgrade to our new Pro Tools|HDX system, which offers up 5x more power than Pro Tools|HD, plus much more headroom for mixing and plug-in processing.

As we move forward, please be aware of the following:
Pro Tools 10 will be the final feature release for Pro Tools|HD TDM systems
Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O
192 Digital I/O
96 I/O
96i I/O
SYNC (original "blue")
SYNC HD (original "blue")
MIDI I/O
003 family
Mbox 2 family
Control|24
Command|8
Pro Control
I need this explained...

When Pro Tools 11 comes out, can I still use a 002 or 003? I don't believe Avid has any hardware that can replace these. If I can NOT use a 002 or 003 then you are effectively telling me that a year ago, Pro Tools was opened to ANY third party interface, but in another year or so... Pro Tools will be open to ANY interface, but their old ones?!

It doesn't make sense and I've talked to a lot of people about it and NO ONE understands.

A.) Here's the argument for the side that says we can still use them once Pro Tools goes 64 bit:
"If they support any interface through CoreAudio and Asio, why wouldn't/couldn't they support their OWN?"

B.) Here's the argument for the side that says we won't be able to use a 002r/003r anymore:
"Digidesign hardware needs digi drivers... If they don't release updates, especially after OS updates... Users get screwed."

So which is it?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Avid, I need to know about future support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by young.don View Post

So they say:

I need this explained...

When Pro Tools 11 comes out, can I still use a 002 or 003? I don't believe Avid has any hardware that can replace these. If I can NOT use a 002 or 003 then you are effectively telling me that a year ago, Pro Tools was opened to ANY third party interface, but in another year or so... Pro Tools will be open to ANY interface, but their old ones?!

It doesn't make sense and I've talked to a lot of people about it and NO ONE understands.

A.) Here's the argument for the side that says we can still use them once Pro Tools goes 64 bit:
"If they support any interface through CoreAudio and Asio, why wouldn't/couldn't they support their OWN?"

B.) Here's the argument for the side that says we won't be able to use a 002r/003r anymore:
"Digidesign hardware needs digi drivers... If they don't release updates, especially after OS updates... Users get screwed."

So which is it?
A) it's not just about support, it's about writing new drivers for a product they are no longer selling. I imagine if the plan is to no longer support the 002/003 family, then we will probably be seeing a replacement in the near future. The 3rd party support in Pro Tools is still up to the 3rd party to continue writing drivers that work in the newer OS's.

B) Writing drivers costs money. If the 002/003 family isn't making money, there's no reason to write new drivers for it. They will support them most likely through to the end of the latest OS builds like in the past... but this isn't the first time Avid or any other hardware company has dropped support of aging products. The fact that the 002 still has any support at all is near miraculous.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:

So they say:

I need this explained...

So which is it?
I am also very confused. I own a Digi 002 rack and I cannot tell from what Avid has posted if version 10 will support the 002. Why would I cross grade unless this is clearly stated?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmandel View Post
I am also very confused. I own a Digi 002 rack and I cannot tell from what Avid has posted if version 10 will support the 002. Why would I cross grade unless this is clearly stated?
Pro Tools 10 did not break support for anything.

Everything that works with 9, still works with 10.

D

Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM

I have fully tested the 002r and 003r with PT10, and it is as it is in PT9.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 AM

I'm not worried about Pro Tools 10 at all. I can read. I know Pro Tools 10 is all good with this stuff.

I'm worried about Pro Tools 11, which is coming SOON. (a reason why most of you shouldn't upgrade if you can't afford it.) Pro Tools 11 will be 64 bit and I need to know what they mean by Pro Tools 10 being the "final release to support" the 002/003 family.

Dism... You didn't really answer... You said a couple things that were a LITTLE informative... The A and B were two sides to a coin.. Not just two separate questions... It was two COMPLETELY different sides of the same argument

But what I need to know is... Can I use my 002r with Pro Tools 11? Point Blank.

DigiTechSupport can answer this. I know he can.

whether I'm using it through CoreAudio/ASIO stuff or whatever. I just want to know if I can use it with Pro Tools 11. If not, I need to buy a new interface NOW.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM

You already have your answer... you answered it in the first post.

PT10 is the last version to support the 002/003 family.

D

Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Can I use my 002r with Pro Tools 11? Point Blank.

DigiTechSupport can answer this. I know he can.
One of the funniest statements I have ever read on the DUC, for myriad reasons, none of which reflect well on the poster... lol, ff
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM

I will support what "Dism" has said above and direct you to this FAQ on the Protooler Blog. Please read the answer to the question: "Is everything I own obsolete now?": http://www.protoolerblog.com/2011/10...-10/#more-7797
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Pro Tools 10 did not break support for anything. Everything that works with 9, still works with 10.
All plug-ins, too? No need to update anything if not using HDX card?