Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2003, 03:39 PM

Default RTAS plugs as SEND effects....Not Possible?

Anyone....

This may be a very naive question, but I purchased the Lexicon PSP delay pack(available as rtas and AS -no tdm available) for use on my HD3 system.....I'm a new user, but after getting the hang of the send bus/aux track/effects return setup with my tdm plug-ins (reverbs in this case), I realize that I can't initiate an rtas plug on an aux track.....Or am I doing something wrong?

Do I have to insert my rtas send type effects on each track and play with the wet/dry balance or can I have them on a bus so I can send from different tracks?

J
PT 7.2 cs1
Old 12-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: RTAS plugs as SEND effects....Not Possible?

your correct, your not doing anything wrong, in a TDM system you can't use RTAS plugins on auxes masterfaders or after an instance of a TDM plugin, if the plugin is HTDM which works like a TDM plugin (you can use it anywhere in your mixer) but it runs off the CPU rather than a TDM chip. for now, untill they release a TDM or HTDM version you'll have to put it in your tracks using the wet/dry mix and before any TDM plugins which deffinately makes an Aux send return type of plug very limited or almost useless, though that has to be my favorite plugin for delays and lexicon type effects.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:01 PM

of topic but hows your Accel system running?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:37 AM

Quote:
of topic but hows your Accel system running?
Thanks missilanious......Accel is running well....Although I have managed to tap out my plug in instances pretty quickly in a session.....So I had to start using the rtas versions....Although under closer examination, it seems that I had the maximum amount of non-accel plug ins that the hd3 accel cards would allow...I guess I was using up all the non-accel chips....
e.g. I couldn't get anymore tdm mcdsp plugs to open, but I got sony dynamics to open up...

Is there anyway to tell which plug are accel optimized when they are on the system, aside from trying to REMEMBER which plugs you bought said accel or not?

I think I see more process cards in the near future.....But I think I need at least one of the regular hd cards for the non-optimized plugs.....
PT 7.2 cs1
Old 12-07-2003, 04:42 AM

...on that same note, I know that you could be thinking "..just wait for the accel upgrades to your plugs..."

It took me 3 weeks....... 3 WEEKS.....to get all the plugs I have now working...waiting on authorization emails....waiting on ilok transfers.....emailing abd calling companies by phone after they collected off my credit card and didn't seem to be in a rush to send me authorizations or deposit ilok transfers.....I'm nervous to upgrade anything right now or in the future...

Jeremy
PT 7.2 cs1
Old 12-08-2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Do I have to insert my rtas send type effects on each track and play with the wet/dry balance or can I have them on a bus so I can send from different tracks?
I asked PSP on their forum whether they plan to support HTDM and they answered "not at the present time". Unfortunately, this makes the delay and reverb plugs they make (which I really like) not too useful in TDM systems. I love Vinatge Warmer - would that I could use it on a master fader!