Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Assertion message when using workspace browser

Man this is so frustrating... does anyone have the answer as to why on PT 7.3 using my HD3 system, when I am in my workspace and try to preview someloops that I may want to use , this message "Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_cliff/ AlturaPorts/NewFileLibs/FileFormat/MacBuild/../../ BDM/BDM_Workspace.cpp" line1506 pops up...?
It is driving me crazy.. It wont let me even preview loops at all...Loops are usually differnt kinds, but mostly happens on Apple loops for Garage Band...WIERD....Please help....
Old 01-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Avid

Default Re: Assertion message when using workspace browser

Please start with the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum, specifically those areas on trashing preference and database files.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Please start with the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum, specifically those areas on trashing preference and database files.
that's fine
but why is this happening to us?

it cost me over 2 hours of down time yesterday.

and i paid you for this?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 AM

Sorry to hear that I am not the only one experiencing difficulties with "THE INDUSTRY STANDARD"... I think I need a new industry...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
that's fine
but why is this happening to us?

it cost me over 2 hours of down time yesterday.

and i paid you for this?
Why does corruption occur with files on a computer? Well, there can be many reasone - read/write errors on the drive are the most likely, especially with files that are written to and read from frequently. Program errors can also cause this (which is why I've asked customers experiencing issues related to databases to try to help by submitting confirmed corrupted database files, so that we can evaluate them...).

These kinds of corruptions can occur with virtually any program - a Google search for 'trash preferences' will turn up info on how to do this for any number of applications.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM

i am still having problems even after dumping all preferences... It just happened when I tried to use auto preview...When I select a file it pulls up the task window. At the bottom of the task window under the name column it says : Revealing item... Under the status column it says the Assertion message.. If I Try to click on any thing again it pulls up another message on the main screen and continues every time I click on a file.. If I hit space bar it brings up the big screen message and basically stops me until I hit okay... Any help would be appreciated...It is very painful since I use loops all day long...Thanks..
Old 01-18-2007, 12:01 PM

STill having issues on this assertion message with no luck...I could still use some help on where to try next...I have trashed all preferences and data bases and it is still happening...If I old school the loop preview (pre 7.3) and just cllick on the speaker it works like it always has...And the loop preview button works when I click on the speaker as well...But as soon as I try to use auto preview or space bar toggles it brings up that assertion message... Like I said I have trashed all preferences and data bases (twice) with no luck, and I was wondering if maybe there is a hidden file somewhere... If so how would I go about finding it?
Struggling hard with this, all and any help would be greatly appreciated...Thank you
Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Avid

When you say you've trashed all databases - did you trash the Digidesign Databases folder at the top level of each drive AND the master database folder located at MacHD>Library>Digidesign>Databases?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Why does corruption occur with files on a computer? Well, there can be many reasons
Another reason would be because the developer didn't put nearly enough error handling in the code to handle cases of file corruption and accomodate those scenarios gracefully. fwiw. Digibase has been notoriously buggy since its release. There's a world of difference between how it ought to be (at the minimum, Pro Tools says "Database is corrupt. Rebuilding now.") and how it is (can't save, can't launch, etc). It's just plain bad QC at Digidesign. No other way to spin it. Good try tho'.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 PM

We're having the same assertion error as well. In my case on a fresh install of LE 7.3.1, before or after database cleaning...AND we're getting it on an HD 7.3.1 rig as well. I'm finding it specifically tied to searches. After a search of say "Baseball Practice" I click on either the spacebar or the new audition icon and it throws the error. HOWEVER if I click the speaker icon over by the "waveform" display in the right side pane, the file will audition and I don't get the error. DIGI, this is a newer version of the problem I reported a month ago that is tied to the Search function being broken. In that thread I was trying to get your attention to the fact that an Assertion error (different than this current one in that it just pops up in a task window) is thrown when trying to calculate a waveform that may not be drawn. This is still broken and has now gotten even worse with the aduition function being crippled. It would be nice to have this working again, because even though I now use Soundminer on my own HD system, when in the field I like the simplicity and convenience of a "Working Workspace".

Wilson Dyer mpse

(c/o the dubstage, Burbank CA)

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television