Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Default Re: UVI Workstation & Falcon!

The new features thing was a pronouncement by Avid at the start of the subscriptions/yearly support fees thing. The bigger picture is - people who don't use PT see it as a laughable option. The free option is ridiculously limited and there's so many f--- you's with buying even the vanilla that most people don't want to know. If new users aren't attracted then the software is going to die long term. The way I see it, the revenue is not being properly reinvested in the software to bring it to parity with other DAWs, it's being siphoned off by venture capitalist shareholders. This also contributes to the incredibly tight-assed restrictions imposed on various tiers. In my opinion if you defend this stuff then you're just contributing to the demise of the software in the long term. Just my opinion as ever, but honestly please try and see the bigger picture.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp_t12 View Post
it's being siphoned off by venture capitalist shareholders.

lol

You really haven't kept up with what Avid/Avid's stock is like.

Largest shareholders (none venture capitalist)
Blum Capital Partners, L.P.
Cove Street Capital, LLC
The Vanguard Group, Inc.
Dimensional Fund Advisors, L.P.
BlackRock Institutional Trust Company, N.A.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:58 PM

There are definitely no venture capitalists investing in Avid. Just not what VCs do.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:59 PM

I'm pleased with Avid's additions to the MIDI/VI side of Pro Tools. It can't happen all at once, but it does appear to be moving in a good direction.

So... Thanks.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-01-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Same here. Nutin yet. :)
Falcon and its associated files hit my account on 12/1/18 at 10PM. I'm in Florida, downloading now and will install tomorrow. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Default Falcon?

Hi, I'm unable to find the UVI Falcon plug-in. I was loading PT & a pop-up said I was unable to use it & asked if I wanted to put it an unused plug-in folder (?) so I did. Now, I'm unable to find it at all. Where can I find it?

Thanks,
David
Mac Mini (m1, 2020)// OS Monterey// Clarett +2Pre// Pro Tools Studio 2023.6.0
Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtlaw View Post
Unbelievable that some users are actually complaining about this. Totally unbelievable. I guess there are just some people that will look to complain about anything. Professional software subscription plans are necessary. For Pro Tools Vanilla it's just $99 a year which is a majority of us here. That is very reasonable for a year of support and upgrades. To have free software on top of that is a gift.

If you don't want an extra year of support and upgrades no one is forcing you to pay the annual fee.
Why is it unbelievable? Have you checked out what other DAW users actually get for their money? Studio One users get 5 licence activations in a single purchase. Reaper users get updates for a solid 3 or 4 years (and quick & substantial updates at that). Cubase & Nuendo have comparatively cost effective paid upgrades from any level of their software... without time restrictions or severe financial punishment if anyone chooses to not upgrade, and they even include new VST and VSTi plugins in their perpetual licenses.

It is unbelievable to even pretend that Avid's business model is remotely similar to the rest of the industry. The saddest part is that falcon is simply on loan to you in return for you paying a fee. It seems if anything, this outlines Avid's lack of desire to innovate anything particularly new for Pro Tools at all. The majority of features we are all still waiting for are those that other DAWs have had for years...

You may be paying $100 a year for the support plan and some borrowed plugins. But I'm paying $400 a year to get better versions of Pro Tools. This loaned plugin license simply doesn't cut it...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 12-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:29 AM

Same here.

It must be distributed by last name ..

It took them six weeks to get me my licence after the complete plugin bundle roll out. I'm assuming it'll be the same this time around. ah well ..
Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Falcon AAX Plugin Authorisation?

Same thing here...feel like the worm on the hook. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 12-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Got everything DL'd and installed including 4 new Falcon Expansion Packs I just purchased...ran PT...need a serial number to activate now....grrrrrr.

BTW...checked my iLok account and I can see the product as "Avid Falcon AAX" in the Cloud Session area.

www.LightWingStudios.com