Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Default question about interfaces: PT Mix

Can anyone tell me if an 882/20 will work alongside an AD 8000?

I have the apogee connected to my PT mix core card and the 882/20 connected to a farm card.

I have BNC out from the apogee into the 882/20. The slave light comes on.

I have assigned the 882/20 in the audio core manager and made sure the I/O setting were good.

No signal returning from the 882/20 back into PT.

I tried this with an 888/24 as well with the same results, but I suspect the 888/24 may be toast as I am seeing random signal spikes on the meters on the front when I connect it to the AD 8000.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 AM

Default Re: question about interfaces: PT Mix

Does the 882 work by itself? Sounds like a clocking issue, bad clock cable maybe?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks milesofwire, I'll check the cable. I made the cable myself with a 75 ohm cable and some BNC connectors with the proper tool to secure the ends, and checked it with a volt meter.

It could be that the cable is not to spec in some way. It's original purpose is to run a security camera.

I figured that it was something else, and that if the cable wasn't working I would still get signal, but with clocking issues.

You are saying that if the BNC cable isn't correct from the AD 8000, I will get no signal from the unit to PT? (I checked the 882/20 on it's own, and it does work)

I will pick up another cable from an electronics store and check it out.

Thanks again milesofwire.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Also are you sure the cable is good coming from the farm card? Had many mix cables go bad after a while. Try swapping those if the other does not work out.

Mike
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM

What do you mean "audio core manager"? In pro tools you just go to the I/O setup window. Are you talking about the digi core audio manager? As in PT 6.4.1? Because that only supports 8 I/O.

One other thing. I believe if you use 2 interfaces you should hook them up with a Y cable to a single card.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM

audiogeek: Thanks, I did try swapping the cables and they both work.

BG music: You're correct...I mean the digi core audio manager.

However, you must be mistaken about 6.4.1 not supporting more than 8 I/O. PT manuals for that version discuss connecting extra interfaces and setting up I/O for more inputs.

Someone please confirm this!

Thanks all.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
audiogeek: Thanks, I did try swapping the cables and they both work.

BG music: You're correct...I mean the digi core audio manager.

However, you must be mistaken about 6.4.1 not supporting more than 8 I/O. PT manuals for that version discuss connecting extra interfaces and setting up I/O for more inputs.

Someone please confirm this!

Thanks all.
No i meant that version of the core audio driver. In fact I don't believe any version of the digi core audio driver supports more than 8 I/O.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMusic View Post
No i meant that version of the core audio driver. In fact I don't believe any version of the digi core audio driver supports more than 8 I/O.
Ah! You may be getting to root of my problem if that's the case. Are you able to point me in the right direction for an audio driver that will do the job?

I run Mac OSX 10.3.9 panther with PT 6.4.1

I wasn't even aware of another driver.

I appreciate your help.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
Ah! You may be getting to root of my problem if that's the case. Are you able to point me in the right direction for an audio driver that will do the job?

I run Mac OSX 10.3.9 panther with PT 6.4.1

I wasn't even aware of another driver.

I appreciate your help.
There is no other driver for that hardware. Digi makes the only driver. That is the latest and greatest version of the driver that will work with those cards. There you have it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 PM

I'm confused, BGmusic, the digicore setup window allows for setup of multiple interfaces, The I/O set up does as well, the manual discusses set up of multiple intefaces, people use multiple interfaces with PT mix systems...so how can this be? How can the only driver available for PT mix systems accommodate only 8 I/O, when clearly many users incorporate 16, 24 + I/O, as well as the manual instructing setup for multiple interfaces?

What am I missing here?

Thanks.