Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 AM

Default [D-COMMAND] HELP#2 - Stereo Monitor and Headphone

Hi everybody,
I desperate need some help here, I did read the manual but I find it helpless
- The manual keep talking INPUT and MAIN OUTS (6CH Surround) but what about plain stereo? I am new to D-Command, I was able to hookup, messing around and now found out a problem (From me, for not fully understand the console yet, I guess), it's really basic: working in plain stereo
So, What I am doing is:
- My Song, I want all the tracks mix in stereo, then, I select 192 1/2 OUT.
- For Monitor, I am using 2 pair of Speakers, I connect them to MAIN and ALT, both using CH 1-2. I can hear my mix fine in both MAIN and ALT...
Now the Problems:
- The Mono check button: Does not work, the sound is still "stereo" to me.
- The Front console Headphone: I can only hear LEFT channel, the RIGHT channel will only be heard if I switch my Mix to OUT 5-6
Note that the sound from headphone is weak and a little distort... but If I assign talk back and say something, talkback sound good in stereo (while the music is still only on the left)
- Please Help... Right now, i have some date line, I only want to mix so forget about the CUE, surround or stuff like that... I need The headphone to work, I want to hear it exactly what I hear in main monitor output 1/2, and the Mono check too.
I suspect it's something to do with 6CH monitor so that CH1 is LEFT and CH5 is RIGHT, but Since I mix only in stereo, I have to bounce the song with output set to 1-2 ... I can't select 1-5... so, please advise what to do.
I think Digi should make some tech note regarding stereo only situation, example set up or a session template...
I really need help on this issue, please take a little time and help me!
Thanks in advance! and sorry for posting such a newbie questions.
Best regards
Sonny
Old 01-15-2009, 04:30 AM

Default Re: [D-COMMAND] HELP#2 - Stereo Monitor and Headphone

Sonny,
There are two ways to handle this. Since you're already partially up and wired this will be the quickest fix.

In the I/O Setup click and drag the output of the right channel to come out of output 5. This way, you're still using Output 1-2 as your mains but they come out of the interface and therefore connect to the X Mon as 1 and 5. This is how my room is setup.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM

Hi Drew,
Thanks, That solved the problem.
I though about that but I was expecting a better way (D-Command preference or something), That method will require me to re-edit the output on every old session (which I am trying to avoid).
The way DC handle a stereo situation is really bad, not many people doing/monitoring surround, I myself invest a surround monitor system 10 years ago but rarely use them, so the whole Genelec monitor is a waist.
Digi force us to waist the whole analog I/O from 192 for just a stereo monitor, then another 8 I/O for headphone Cues ... why not no internal re-rout all the IN and OUTs.
To me, This is a big dissapoinment about the DC so far
You said "There are two ways to handle this" - When you have time, please tell me the other way as well (I hope it's not involve in patching signal iwith patchbay)
I am very appreciate your help and input, Thanks again!
Sonny
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM

You could use Dsub to XLR cables, that's what I do. The only thing I use the 192's analog outs for is 1 cue mix. I use the encl AES/EBU outputs into an external DAC for control room monitoring. You don't have to re-arrange the I/O setup this way.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM

A few things.

The other way is to simply change the wiring between the 192 and the X Mon so that 1-2 of the 192 go to X mon input 1 and 5, that's all.

Even though it's a small hassle, nothing is wasted. I use all the I/O I have even when just working in stereo. My Cues and AFL/PFL use my 96I/O which leaves my 192 to be my main outs and up to six inserts (where the better converters matter). It only takes about 5 sec to drag those little blocks to convert a session.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
You could use Dsub to XLR cables, that's what I do. The only thing I use the 192's analog outs for is 1 cue mix. I use the encl AES/EBU outputs into an external DAC for control room monitoring. You don't have to re-arrange the I/O setup this way.

Hi
This is probably the best idea, so my Rosetta 200 not in use now will have a good use. Thank!

dmazurek! I also have 96I/O and not hook up yet, so thanks for the idea! I'll use the 96 IO for Cue 1/2 and AFL/PFL
Cheers guys!
Sonny
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 AM

Enjoy your D Command. Let us know how it goes.