Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Default How To Get Headphones To The Next room?

Im going to start recording drums in the next room over from my control room. I was wondering what's the best way to get headphones in the next room? SHould i just buy a very long extension cable? I only need to go about 40 feet, im just going to plug 2 xlr's together for the mic cables. Im not going to bother with snakes or anything since its a short distance.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: How To Get Headphones To The Next room?

Unfortunately, a 40 foot run going to someone playing drums probably is not going to be loud enough for the player to hear the mix - it might be, but...

The usual approach is to take the "cue" or "headphone" send from your digi and plug it into a line level input on a stereo amplifier. If it is a "hi-fi" stereo amp you can use the headphone plug (if it is loud enough) and use a head-phone extension cord which you can buy or build.

A typical studio uses a low-wattage amp (~ 40 watts) and actually uses the speaker outputs to feed a multiple output box for several headsets. This requires putting resistors between the output sockets to keep the ohmage from getting too low for the amp to run efficiently.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 PM

GET THIS:

FURMAN HEADPHONE AMP

and a few of these:

BREAKOUT BOXES

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 07-01-2004, 09:50 PM

I would just go with the extension. Obviously the longer the run the worse for the signal, but it should be acceptable. You could make it better by running a balanced low impedence signal of your headphone mix to the next romm, and then amplify it from there.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM

when i track drums i have the headphones going from my behringer
power play pro headphone amp (100bucks) and run an extension chord
thats 25 feet then the headphone chord itself is 9 feet so thats 34 feet
and it is loud enough for the drummer
Old 07-01-2004, 10:23 PM

hey i just got a cool idea that may or may not work...
get the Behringer controll surface thats coming out -
if it can control aux send levels then set up aux sends for drums/ guitar/ vox/ bass /ect
to an output that just say is going out to the drums. then they drummer can use the
Behringer control surface to control the levels that are going to him while only effecting the
aux sends. but if u can't use the control surface to control aux sends then u can just use the
aux sends and send the signals to aux trakcs then set the control surface to control the aux tracks....

tell me if u think one of these ways would work
Old 07-02-2004, 05:42 AM

I just run a headphone cable around the door and into the room where the drums are. I run the drummers headphones out of the mixer so I can use the digi headphone for myself to hear the sounds. If you only have one headphone out you could use the phones to get the drum sounds and use Walkie talkies to talk back and forth (they're usually very cheap) until you start tracking then you set up a talkback so he can hear you. Good luck, I love recording drums... it's always interesting
1024mb DDR PC3200
Maxtor 40gb System and 60gb Audio drives
www.millicentfriendly.com
Old 07-02-2004, 06:51 AM

Provided you've a good HP amp source, you'll have no problems and little to no noticable loss going 40' with a HP extension.

We use a Rane HC-6 HP amp, and have runs in excss of 60' with problems. The HC-6 has a mad amount of power, and the phones (Sony MDR 7506) are extremely efficient, I've never had any problems getting them loud enough with 40% or more reserver power still available. Tyically I set the indivicual amp outs to 12 o'clock, and have never gone past 2 o"clock. The amp is very clean and super powerful.