Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 AM

Default House Sync Help!

OK, I'm all a bit lost over this so perhaps people can help me out.

We are running PTHD with Virtual VTR. The HD Rig has a Sync HD and the Virtual VTR machine is using a Decklink HD card.

I think we need a blackburst/tri-level generator. Which we would send to the sync and the decklink? Then take word clock from the sync into our Big Ben to be regenerated and distributed? That is how I understand it, however unfortunately my understanding is extremely limited so I'm almost certainly wrong!

What are the common methods of achieving sync here? Could you help me out with connections/product suggestions? I'd really appreciate it! Or even just shoot me down and set me straight about my misconceptions.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Elliott

(we are using mmc and mtc between the two systems)
Old 05-02-2008, 04:54 AM

Default Re: House Sync Help!

Get this and you´ll have tri-level and black-burst and WC all on the same ticket (incl. all the pull-ups and down options and MTC to LTC):

http://bonsaidrive.com/nanosyncs.html
Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM

AJA GEN 10
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Thought you could take clock from the sync hd into both the decklink and the pthd, and since vvtr is slaving to the sync i/o via mtc, you shouldn't need anymore....

am i right in this?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Thought you could take clock from the sync hd into both the decklink and the pthd, and since vvtr is slaving to the sync i/o via mtc, you shouldn't need anymore....

am i right in this?
Mike. No, you are not right.

The Sync HD I/O does not generate tri-level sync. It does resolve to it.

VVTR is not slaved to the SYnc I/O via MTC. MTC is positional imformation, not speed information.

In order to resolve to the same clock and lock frame edges you need a generator into both systems and have PT online.

By the way, you need 7.4 to resolve to tre-level using an HD I/O.

If you don't have 7.4, the Gen 10 will output HD and SD sync burst from the same clock so you should be golden.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your input it was really helpful. And thanks Minister for taking time to respond to my post on gearslutz as well.

I think we will either get the house sync option for the Big Ben or ditch it and replace it with a Nanosync. The GEN10 is very affordable but I was scared off by the switching 'binary' interface.. Nice rackmounted flashing lights for me please!

Does anyone have any experience using Pro Tools with a Mojo, or even with a Media Station Satellite?

I'm wondering how this compares with Virtual VTR? A lot of our work comes from an Avid, so perhaps taking the VVTR path isn't the best option?

We have two Mac Pros so the satellite option is a bit of a pain having to swap one out for an HP or something (unless Windows on Mac is ok for Video Satellite?) And obviously the Mojo makes our other Mac Pro more or less redundant until we fork out for that second HD Rig.

It seems the Mojo can only feed one display at a time? Is this correct also?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input it was really helpful. And thanks Minister for taking time to respond to my post on gearslutz as well.

I think we will either get the house sync option for the Big Ben or ditch it and replace it with a Nanosync. The GEN10 is very affordable but I was scared off by the switching 'binary' interface.. Nice rackmounted flashing lights for me please!

Does anyone have any experience using Pro Tools with a Mojo, or even with a Media Station Satellite?

I'm wondering how this compares with Virtual VTR? A lot of our work comes from an Avid, so perhaps taking the VVTR path isn't the best option?

We have two Mac Pros so the satellite option is a bit of a pain having to swap one out for an HP or something (unless Windows on Mac is ok for Video Satellite?) And obviously the Mojo makes our other Mac Pro more or less redundant until we fork out for that second HD Rig.

It seems the Mojo can only feed one display at a time? Is this correct also?
We use on our Macs a MOJO SDI and it works well. To get video on another screen you just need a video DA. Easy enough anyway. But the Mojo works well. On our PCs we have the V10 and they work well. We have not tried the satellite option but would like to because with a Mojo or V10 it takes the entire internal firewire bus. Also depending on video resolution your track count can be less than normal. I have not really had this cause too much of a problem. Digi says 48 tracks with a mojo I have easily doubled that. So they are conservative.

Mike
Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the information. To be honest the reduced track count is a little off putting. Our single PT rig is always being pushed to its limits
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Get this and you´ll have tri-level and black-burst and WC all on the same ticket (incl. all the pull-ups and down options and MTC to LTC):

http://bonsaidrive.com/nanosyncs.html
we have a nanosyncs hd and it is rock solid.
been using it for over a year for house sync with 3 PTHD3 systems, 2 final cut systems, and a few video decks.