Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 is a SHAME for HD users!!!!!

Ok, so this point is baffling and missed in all the literature... So, dumb this down for a minute... Today, you can buy HD now - that gets you software and hardware, and dongles were essentially you needed 1 interface. So, now if I buy HD, and no interface... how does my new dongle (ilok) know that I actually own an interface? and allow me to run software only on my laptop? The requirement clearly still says for Native or any HD flavor, you need to own an Interface as well... though, now you don't need to have it to run stand alone...?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM

To purchase the PT8HD to PT9HD upgrade, you have to enter the serial number of your HD hardware.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
I'm very disapointed because I've worked really hard to buy my HD rig 6 months ago and now it's worth nothing, I mean you'll have the same feature with an MBox?!

Well, my bad I should have listened to what people told about Avid, I'm going to sell my Control 24 and HD rig and 192 and go with Sonar X1.

You should really check it out, it has more feature than PT and even a saturation fx on each channel and master, and an SSL/1176 style comp + EQ on each channel and an SSL Mix bus comp... Go to hell PT!
People with HD systems are the only ones that can use TDM if I am right so its not a waste that you bought a HD rig and you are still PRO.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Yeah, Pro Tools HD owners are still Kings, I mean you have TDM only plugins and zero latency monitoring without using a seperate cue mix application as Apogee stuff and you have your DSP power plus the native CPU.

But, who is going to buy PT HD Native
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
I'm very disapointed because I've worked really hard to buy my HD rig 6 months ago and now it's worth nothing, I mean you'll have the same feature with an MBox?!

Well, my bad I should have listened to what people told about Avid, I'm going to sell my Control 24 and HD rig and 192 and go with Sonar X1.

You should really check it out, it has more feature than PT and even a saturation fx on each channel and master, and an SSL/1176 style comp + EQ on each channel and an SSL Mix bus comp... Go to hell PT!
Wow. You bought PT HD for the wrong reasons. PT HD are for those that need the DSP processing and TDM plug-ins.

Also, you should understand that the pres, converters, and clock in the MBox are far below anything in the HD line up. You should be happy that you can use whatever clocks and converters now. Obviously, you don't care because you got power sold into something you know nothing about. I mean for Christ's sake you own a $10,000 mouse (C|24).
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM

How can there be so much negativity about this? This is the move Avid had to take at one point or another. Up to now the complaints center on LE users getting more new stuff (hello! that's invariably what happens when you harmonize your range!) and the $h!t we bought to navigate the up-to-now convoluted ProTools ecosystem is now less useful...

So everybody gets the same features and we don't need those extra gizmos to use these features as we please? That sounds mighty fine to me! The DSP cards are not outdated, neither are the interfaces... the investments made in HD gear are not floundered and the whole range is harmonized. Great move, Avid. Hat's off!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Congrats AVID on a bold move.
My personal (happy) upgrade history:
Let's see....
Sound tools 2500 (donated to school)
audio media II 900 (fried)
Digi 001 750 (in a closet)
Mbox 250 (kids toy)
digi 002 #1 900 (still making $)
Pro tools III tdm 7500 (donated to church)
Mix IV rig 32io 9000 (Still making $)
Mix IV rig 40io 2500 ( purchased last year for installation)
HD 3 accel 10000 (still making $)

Only 35K invested over a 15 year period.
Peanuts compared to the return over that span. Way >5%....
(Wish my large format consoles had ROI like that)
If you're in this for profit, you'll run the numbers and upgrade when the numbers dictate, knowing that "better faster" is coming.
It's all part of your business strategy.
You know your LONG TERM PLAN?
If you're a project guy, who cares? Your rig didn't just stop working.
The bad news for some is.....
Everybody has decent gear now...
It's about chops, service and business model now.
Let the fittest survive!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn for a reason View Post
The bad news for some is.....
Everybody has decent gear now...
It's about chops, service and business model now.
Let the fittest survive!
I agree.

Luckily, I have a full-time job in another industry that pays quite nicely and I have the luxury to do this in my free-time. The audio production market is getting pretty saturated now, so good luck to you guys who make a living off of it.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM

Comparing Pro Tools 9 to Pro Tools 9 HD is like comparing Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premiere to Autodesk Flint/Flame/Smoke/Inferno.

Speed, economy, quality....pick two.

If you're a of facility that caters to the demands of clients who want speed and quality, your probably on HD.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwwuk View Post
To me it seems that Avid is more interested in enticing users of other platforms to jump ship rather than rewarding loyal ProTools customers.
As a freelance post user who has spent £7000 on an HD rig in the last 6 months, I'm ****ed off. If I'd know this was coming I could have had a system much more tailored to my medium term needs.

There seem very few real enhancements for post users. There are simple but really useful features that many post users have been asking for for years (literally) that still have been ignored in favour of the LE market.

I'm sure this is possibly what Avid had to do, but it sticks in my throat.

(And while I'm ranting, it would be nice if the Avid Audio User Survey worked ... I could go on, but I've got work to do.)