Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Default How do I encode mix for a DVD?

Hey there,

I'm usually an LE user but currently am mixing a song, for Uni, in 5.1 surround sound using PT TDM 6.4.

For the project I simply have to submit it as a mixdown, being the 6 channels within the PT file so they can mark it like that.

However, I'd like to listen to it back at home on my standard 5.1 system... is it possible to encode it somehow to DVD (or CD) so I can do so? (Grr Digidesign, when will you catch up and make LE surround ready!)

Thanks!

James Arter Music
www.jamesarter.com

Soundcloud
http://www.soundcloud.com/happybunnyproductions
Old 01-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: How do I encode mix for a DVD?

Hi

If you know anyone who has 'DVD studio Pro', they may be able to help.

They'll need to have the 'A-Pack'(Dolby encoder), which will allow you to encode to an AC3 file, which can then be placed with the picture file on DVD studio Pro and then burnt to a DVD and watched.

Ok, it seemed simple when I started typing!!

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Neyrinck

Quote:
Hey there,
I'm usually an LE user but currently am mixing a song, for Uni, in 5.1 surround sound using PT TDM 6.4.
For the project I simply have to submit it as a mixdown, being the 6 channels within the PT file so they can mark it like that.
However, I'd like to listen to it back at home on my standard 5.1 system... is it possible to encode it somehow to DVD (or CD) so I can do so? (Grr Digidesign, when will you catch up and make LE surround ready!)
Thanks!
You can encode using SoundCode For Dolby Digital or SoundCode For DTS plug-ins for Pro Tools. DTS is preferred for music because it does not use any dynamic range compression (DRC). Dolby Digital can be configured to use minimal DRC but will always have some to protect against stereo downmix clipping which often shows up in music projects. DTS uses a higher data rate and is generally thought to sound better and thus is better for reference disks. But, of course, you must use a DTS compatible playback system.

Paul Neyrinck
www.neyrinck.com
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM

the surecode stuff works fine in LE ... just be mindful of
your track order ...

the cheapest way i've ever found is vegas with the DVD architect
bundle. it comes with an AC-3 encoder ... you pull in the 6 tracks ..pan
them in the surround panner where they should go and do a file->save as->AC3

PC only though...

jeff