Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X

Old 02-25-2015, 05:41 PM

Default General questions / advice solicited

Hello!

I have been using Pro Tools Express 10 with the MBox Mini on a Windows 8.1 laptop. For a university music course I am taking I am required to use a Macbook Pro with Mac music editing software. I am considering moving to the Macbook as my primary/only computer:

Questions:

1. Could I just move all my files to the Macbook and use the Mac OS version of Pro Tools Express seamlessly (assuming various drivers installed, and configuration issues are dealt with...)?
2. Can I use Pro Tools Express on both of these computers or is it only licensed for one computer (i.e. I have to pick one computer only to use the software).
3. Is it allowed to switch from the PC version to the Mac version?
4. If I *can* use it on both, do I need to do anything in particular with respect to downloading and installing, especially as it pertains to the iLoK, and/or other copy protection/licensing issues?

If there are specific links that answer/deal with these questions, I'd be happy to take the time to do that research, but I just am trying to save time by getting a general sense of how I should move forward.

Advice:

1. Is using a dual-boot setup with the Macbook, i.e. making it a MacOS/Windows machine, a good idea? Opinions? Experiences running Pro Tools Express in a virtual PC environment on a Mac?

I appreciate any responses, and thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Re: General questions / advice solicited

yes you can move your Session folders/files form one to another, I would recommended doing it over your home network

Dual-boot is OK, virtual machines and Pro Tools doesn't work

I would recommend an i7 Macbook Pro over a Macbook
a new Mac anything will not support any version of Pro Tools 10 so you may want to look at Student 11

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Default Re: General questions / advice solicited

Thank you! I apologize for not having more specific information on my configuration. I didn't want to be long-winded, but I am actually doing some legwork for my son - I am not the user of this software.

To the best of my knowledge it is Pro Tools Express 10.3, MBox Mini (3rd Generation). The Mac computer is not a new one, but a 2011 MacBook Pro, which is an i7, so I am happy to hear that that model is preferred. I will be setting up the Macbook Pro and then delivering it to him. (He lives in another city).

So, I do not currently have access to his PC computer with the existing Pro Tools installation. I realize without specific configuration details I cannot expect specific answers... but I would be happy if I could just confirm that the existing license for Pro Tools Express will allow me to install the software on the MacBook.

In addition it would save me time to know if I need the iLok USB key to perform the installation.

Thanks for taking the time to help!