Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Default TA3 connectors?

Maybe this isn't quite the place for this thread... More of a location sound issue.

Can anyone explain the use/benefit of TA3 connectors on a field mixer? I'm in need of a mixer that can accept multiple ins that also have direct outs. The Sound Devices 442 is my leading candidate right now, but their direct outs are TA3 connectors. Not sure the use of this, since cameras don't have corresponding ins and recording systems don't seem to either (maybe some DATs?).

I suppose a followup question would be: are there adaptors for TA3 to either XLR or line?

And while I'm at it, can anyone recommend another mixer that might be a better bet... one that has discrete outputs, or even a digital out like ADAT Optical or USB?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: TA3 connectors?

i would ask this question here:

RAMPS

or call Buzz Tuner at Turner Audio -- you CANNOT beat his service. great guy. very knowledgeable.

TURNER AUDIO
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM

With Sound Devices TA3's are popular due to their size- they do have adaptors to take them to XLR's I know when I rent the 442 and 302 they always come with those cables-

cm
Quote:
Maybe this isn't quite the place for this thread... More of a location sound issue.

Can anyone explain the use/benefit of TA3 connectors on a field mixer? I'm in need of a mixer that can accept multiple ins that also have direct outs. The Sound Devices 442 is my leading candidate right now, but their direct outs are TA3 connectors. Not sure the use of this, since cameras don't have corresponding ins and recording systems don't seem to either (maybe some DATs?).

I suppose a followup question would be: are there adaptors for TA3 to either XLR or line?

And while I'm at it, can anyone recommend another mixer that might be a better bet... one that has discrete outputs, or even a digital out like ADAT Optical or USB?

Thanks.

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks guys, for both replies.

I finally found my way to SD's accessories page and found the XL-2 adaptor, for anyone else interested:
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories.htm
Old 01-16-2007, 04:07 PM

the benefits of the TA3 is that it is basically a mini XLR os you don't have the problem associated with 1/8" or 1/4" connectors
what I don't like about them is they don't except large diameter cable and are a little complicated to put together

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig