Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2002, 04:00 PM

Default OMF-PT to DP3/LA5

Sorry if I'm asking a redundant question, nut I searcherd on OMF and didn't come up with anything newer than Dec 2000.
I have to send two projects out for overdubs. One to a guy using Logic 5, and another to a guy using DP3. I am using PT 5.1.3 with the integrated OMF export thingy. I can't seem to do it - if anyone knows a foolproof method wold they be so kind as to describe it? I have exported a 271 M file (which is right) which opened in DP3 as a session with one audio track. Logic just says the file isn't an OMF. Any help greatly appreciated.

ja
Old 05-09-2002, 12:02 AM

Default Re: OMF-PT to DP3/LA5

c'mon- how about a little help here folks
Old 05-09-2002, 05:46 PM

uuhhhhh
Old 05-09-2002, 06:11 PM

The lack of responses probably indicates that not many people use OMF. I know I've used PT for 3 years and never used it. I would like to learn though as a friend does have DP and I would like to see the process.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:02 PM

John I think the general concensus is that OMF is not really a happening thing to transfer between DAWs.

I often transfer stuff between PT & Logic & have found the safest way is to consolidate tracks & create a single region starting from beat 1. Then when you import it into another app you just line everything up on the downbeat. Same when converting from Logic back to PT.
V.boring & time consuming but so far it's the easiest way to make sure it works. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Stew
Old 05-09-2002, 07:40 PM

I successfully transfer a DP 2.7 file opened in DP 3.02 and exported as OMF to PT 5.1.1. Of course this only sets up a Pro Tools session with the audio tracks. As far as I know, the MIDI must still be exported as standard MIDI file, then imported into the Pro Tools session with the DP audio transfer. It all lined up and worked, although the midi assignments were not right. I have not tried the other way yet
Old 05-09-2002, 07:41 PM

I've recieved an OMF from a DP3 - and that worked fine. Used digitrans vs1.

I dunno about going back the other way though...