Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2023, 01:14 PM

Default My Session became locked at 48k from a BT speaker?

PTHD 12.8

I had a 44.1 music session I've been using for weeks, and decided to try my JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker as the output. When I chose the JBL from within Pro Tools, I got a message the JBL doesn't support a SR of 44.1, etc.

I must've pressed OK, (with no warning that my session SR would be permanently changed) and now, my session has been changed to 48k with pitched up songs etc.

No idea if/how I can change the SR on the JBL to 44.1, but more-so, no matter what other device I try to use to play the session, the session is locked at 48k? Even if I go into Audio MIDI setup and change every device to 44.1k, as soon as I open this session, the chosen output device is switched to 48k.
How does something like this happen from a BT speaker or any other device? Is the only fix to create a new 44.1 session and import all the songs?

I've restarted the Mac, and my interface, and it seems the session has still been permanently locked at 48k

Update: I was able to create a new 44.1 session, and choose import session data from the old session, but set the SR from the old session to 44.1, sort of tricking PT to believe the audio was 44.1. Everything quickly came in and now plays at the correct pitch. I seem to remember this sort of "hack" from years ago, but surprised that there still isn't better messaging to the effect of "the selected device doesn't support a SR of 44.1. IF YOU CLICK OK, YOUR SESSION SR WILL BE PERMANENTLY CHANGED", etc
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 1.29.13 PM.png (62.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by soundboy35; 09-10-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:40 PM

Default Re: My Session became locked at 48k from a BT speaker?

It's a total stupid bug. Pro Tools should not be changing the sample rate at all here, it's first option should be to give up and secondarily it should warn and offer to convert the session sample rate (or even better suggest the user does that as a Save Copy In).
Old 09-10-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It's a total stupid bug. Pro Tools should not be changing the sample rate at all here, it's first option should be to give up and secondarily it should warn and offer to convert the session sample rate (or even better suggest the user does that as a Save Copy In).
Thanks, and couldn't agree more! I'm surprised this is still an issue, honestly. The messaging should be changed at minimum. I'm not changing the settings, Pro Tools is.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:38 AM

Yeah...this issue almost tanked a very important presentation to some prospective clients a few years ago. A co-worker decided it would be better to use a Bluetooth speaker for the presentation and it changed the sample rate of the session and started playing back the session too slow. Some very quick and panicked thinking on my part, using the import session data and SRC technique you mentioned above), got things back up and running with mere moments to spare!