Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 05:18 PM

Default Re: AAE error -9173 stronger than ever on PT 12.5

It's not about opening sessions or even playing them for a bit, it's about hardcore use. I have yet to have my system not crash. I've opened every session fine and played some for a couple of hours but eventually it will crash with that error and once that happens nothing really fixes it. I think its something to do with the new architecture of PT from 11 till now. The error did not happen in PT10 as far as I know. It started happening in PT11 and continues on to every version of PT12. I think it's something related to CPU power. I have (or had since I just went back to PT10 on my Macbook Pro) the EXACT same setup on a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro. Same version of PT, same OS, same exact plug in's, same exact plug in versions, no cracks, no demos, no expired demos and virtually no VI's and my Mac Pro has NEVER given me the error (there's TONS of other things that are wrong like tracks not playing back and tracks actually playing while muted, that's a whole other thread) but opening the exact same session on my Macbook Pro gives me the error. The only thing different between the two is the RAM and the CPU size. Now I don't know if it exclusively happens when using video because I'm always using video because I have friends who are only mixing music in 12.4 and they haven't had the error, although there seem to be posts on this thread where people are experiencing the error with no video and minimal track count.

I've moved back every version from 12.5.2 to 10.3. I have yet to try 10.3 but I will soon. Every other version gave me the error at some point. Sometimes after two minutes of playback, sometimes after two hours. Eventually I will get the error with PT12 and PT11.

It could also be something with the PT12 software. I was using PT11 for about a year on the same machine with no issues. Once I installed PT12 on top of PT11 there seemed to be issues.

To anyone who represents AVID. You need to respond to this issue with an intelligent understanding that people cannot use the software with this current bug. You need to let us know that this is a priority at Avid. Anyone who has this issue doesn't care about any new features, especially cloud collaboration, if they can't even play back sessions for clients that they could four years ago. I've had to roll back to PT10.3. Most post houses in LA are using PT10 and for that matter Media Composer 6.6 because the Avid software has become so unreliable. It's embarrassing and it's way way past frustrating for users. It will literally be time to look for something else to use. And please don't come out with some new version of PT and say it's fixed without fully investigating. When PT12.5 came out Avid said there were huge improvements for post. I wouldn't know because I can't play sessions to find out.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:19 PM

Has anyone had the error with PT 12 with a new Mac Pro and an HDX card?
Old 07-05-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
Yes!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Eller View Post
Yes!
That's interesting. Then I guess it has nothing to do with CPU. Are you using video or not? I think that would be the next question. If not then it's in the build of the 64 bit application. It has to be. I did an experiment over the weekend. I went back from 12.5.2 to 10.3.9. Every version. I have every installer. I was on El Capitian for all of 12 and most of 11. Then I went to Yosemite and had a co-install of 11 and 10. Every time I played something it eventually gave me the error. Not until I completely wiped 11 off my system and just had 10.3.9 remaining on Yosemite did PT play back 4 44 minute shows with not one issue and zero errors. It's something in the build. It can't be a plug in unless an Avid one. So AVID, what do you have to say about this?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I figured I'd try 12.5.2. Got a 9173 error in two minutes of using it. Still not fixed. I've also re-cloned my system with PT11.3 and I got the error. Now I'm going all the way back to PT10. AVID NEEDS to realize that while many protools users might be unaffected by this the one's that are CANNOT use protools. It WILL NOT FUNCTION. It is a useless program if you get this error. There is not one other piece of software that I use that has such a terminal problem such as this. They've offered little advice on how to deal with it and none of it is a solution for everyone who has it. It needs to be fixed now. I'm literally at the point where I think I'll need to import sessions into Logic in order to play them back for clients which is insane.
Well said, that is exactly the case. I just paid another month for subscription - useless program if just basic functionality is not working.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
ONLY when changing presets on a VI while the session is running. Pig VI's like Omnisphere.

Other than that, absolutely none.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Are you using video or not?
No video.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:50 PM

Found this from someone on FB. A little from support. Could even be mentioned in this thread. But thought it may help you guys.

Quote:
Hi _____,

Thanks for volunteering to help with the investigation. Can you try something for me and let me know if it resolves your -9173 error or reduces their number?

We have discovered there is an issue with the Click 2 plug-in in Pro Tools 12.5 that can cause -9173 errors. We are working to resolve this issue in an upcoming release.

As a workaround try bouncing the click as audio and then making the click track with the click plug-in inactive.

To do this:

Right click on the click track and select Bounce...

In the Track Bounce window set the Format drop-down to Mono (summed), tick the Import After Bounce box, and the Offline box

Select Bounce

When the Audio Import Options comes up at the end of the bounce check the New Track and Session Start are the selections and click on OK.

Right click on the original Click track again and choose Hide and Make Inactive.

This will give you an audio version of the click you can use and make the click plug-in inactive.
Check to see if the -9173 errors stop.

If you need to modify the click for the session you can show the original track, make it active, make the adjustments, and repeat the steps above.

Check to see if these steps resolve or reduce the number of -9173 errors you are seeing.

In most cases we respond to online support inquiries within one business day. If we don't hear from you within five days our support system will check in with you automatically and let you know that it will close the case . If this does occur, the case is closed automatically, and the issue is not resolved you have 25 days to respond and reopen the case.

Best regards,
Bill
Avid Audio Support
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Found this video buried in my pocket account. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbLEogQK4I&sns=em

Check out from 34:00 minutes on for explanation of AAE errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2016, 06:21 AM

very interesting video. Watched the whole thing and learned a lot. Thanks!