Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Korg NanoKontrol in PT MP9?

I originally posted this thread in the 'MP' forum, where Chris at Southside Music was kind enough to reply. However, the problem still exists, so I thought I'd post it here in hopes that maybe more folks would see it. I have Pro Tools MP9 in a Windows 7 SP1 64 bit machine with an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R interface. I recently purchased the Korg NanoKontrol (version 1) after being assured it would work with my version of Pro Tools by the head of the recording dept at the local Guitar Center. However, after consulting with him, searching this forum, checking YouTube, and Googling the problem, I still can't get this MIDI controller to work. No matter what I try, it always ends up at a window that says Pro Tools cannot communicate with the installed MIDI device. Any ideas/instruction are welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Korg NanoKontrol in PT MP9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
I originally posted this thread in the 'MP' forum, where Chris at Southside Music was kind enough to reply. However, the problem still exists, so I thought I'd post it here in hopes that maybe more folks would see it. I have Pro Tools MP9 in a Windows 7 SP1 64 bit machine with an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R interface. I recently purchased the Korg NanoKontrol (version 1) after being assured it would work with my version of Pro Tools by the head of the recording dept at the local Guitar Center. However, after consulting with him, searching this forum, checking YouTube, and Googling the problem, I still can't get this MIDI controller to work. No matter what I try, it always ends up at a window that says Pro Tools cannot communicate with the installed MIDI device. Any ideas/instruction are welcome. Thanks.
Hi, are you able to use it outside of Pro Tools?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 AM

If it's like the NanoKontrol2 you have to hold a button sequence on the device while plugging in the USB cable to select what mode or app it's configured for. On the NK2 you hold Set Marker and Play to set it in HUI mode for PT - maybe that's it. Only other thing that comes to mind is if you installed/configured the drivers.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks, Chuck, for your input. Yes, I saw on a YouTube video the process of holding down those two buttons on the NanaKontrol 2. Unfortunately, the NanoKontrol 1 has no marker button, and nothing in the device's instructions mentions anything about holding any buttons down while plugging it in. I've downloaded and set up both the latest driver and the latest version of editor for this device from the Korg website. (I even tried an older driver and version of editor after the latest didn't seem to help). I've also set up HUI in the the preferences menu, but that only brought up the window that said "Pro Tools cannot communicate with HUI..." I sent a message to Korg's support dept. a week ago, but have received no reply, which perhaps tells me all I need to know about Korg. If anyone has any other suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM

Did a quick search over morning coffee and found a couple of things that might help.

http://trikome.com/blog/2009/02/27/h...th-protools-8/

Here's a video from YouTube, but I'm not so sure about the initial step of changing the driver. I'd try the above first without the change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzTr7UpmJvQ
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM

To Chris, (CW Sand): I have not tried this device outside of Pro Tools, and since Pro Tools is the only place I use any MIDI (the only DAW I use), I'm not sure where else I could try it. It does power up when plugged into a USB port. My MIDI keyboards (Yamaha & Roland) plug into the MIDI port on my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R, and I've had no problems with them. Simply plug 'n' play. This is my first experience with a USB MIDI device.
To Chuck: I had already viewed and tried both of the solutions in the links you posted (also thinking the driver situation was weird in the YouTube video. And I had no luck trying to trick Pro Tools into thinking the NanoKontrol was an M-Audio keyboard.) I truly do appreciate your searching and suggestions, though.
Jim