Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-16-2010, 05:25 AM

Default VE Pro - An Illusion ???

Hi,

did various scenarios with VE PRO Server running as RTAS instance in PT.

Supposedly, it SHOULD be relieving PT and the CPU in which PT runs by outsourcing the VIs to a slave running with VE PRO Server...

Here is an example with Kontakt 4.

In Protools with a HW Buffer of 64 Samples - I can easily run K4 with quite a few instruments with no quicks. CPU Meter spikes at 40% !!!

Now I remove Kontakt 4 from the PT session and insert the VE Pro Server RTAS plug-in. On the slave I start VE PRO Server and insert K4 as an Audio Unit.

I set the VSL RTAS Latency to 0 Buffers to match the 64 samples I had when running K4 as RTAS. Then I connect to my VE Pro session on the slave CPU with K4 inserted as an AU.

Here is what happens:

The CPU meter now goes in RED and it is impossible to play even ONE instrument in the K4 running on the slave without dropouts. I have to increase PT's buffer to 128 and set the VSL RTAS Buffer to 2 buffers. Then I get CPU Meter spikes at 40%.

This makes NO sense at all. Instead of relieving my PT system which without VE PRO Server ran K4 at a HW Buffer set at 64 samples and the CPU spiking at 40% with 6 instruments I know have to set the HW Buffer at 128 Samples and the VSL RTAS Buffer at 2 Buffers giving me a total latency of 128+256=384 Samples, vs the 64 from before - to get the SAME CPU usefulness.

Now THAT is NOT an improvement but a serious DOWN GRADE !

I tried this with various VIs and with identical results.

As soon as the VSL RTAS plug-in gets connected to the slave the CPU meter goes crazy.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Re: VE Pro - An Illusion ???

Yep...
Kind of my findings too...
I'm on a much older G5 DP 2.3 though....

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=268117

Note that you commented on this thread...!!

The RTAS version of the VEPro plugin uses loads of CPU on it's own... If I run VEPro at 1x sample buffer I seem to get best results....

I am still using VEPro however, as it's helpful for me to keep my large writing setup loaded, and just connect PT to it.....
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Whether running inside ProTools or out of it, it's asking the same of the CPU, is it not? It's doing the same amount of math under either platform. The Vienna server really becomes an advantage with its handling of memory - it's able to reach beyond the 4GB limit of ProTools.

In my experience, it works exactly in this way.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Whether running inside ProTools or out of it, it's asking the same of the CPU, is it not? It's doing the same amount of math under either platform. The Vienna server really becomes an advantage with its handling of memory - it's able to reach beyond the 4GB limit of ProTools.

In my experience, it works exactly in this way.
Vienna Ensemble Pro (Not server) set to run natively as a standalone on the slave mac via a Fireface RME interface running at 64 Samples Buffer takes the CPU to about 40% with K4 inserted as an audio unit. Just like when running K4 as an RTAS inside of PT.

Vienna Ensemble Pro SERVER running in PT at 64 samples buffer SPIKES the CPU immediately.

Something is definitely NOT right, right there
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Vienna Ensemble Pro SERVER running in PT at 64 samples buffer SPIKES the CPU immediately.

Something is definitely NOT right, right there
Which version are you on..?
There was a marked improvement in the CPU spikes issue a couple of updates ago....
It does, however look like a 'not great RTAS encoding' issue.... The same version of VEPRo server running in Reaper as AU doesn't have the dreadful CPU spikes...

As I mentioned in my earlier post though, ONE buffer gives the best results for me at 128. Maybe try that?

Jon
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Does it behave the same if you restart between usage in PT and VE-pro?

When it comes to memory, the way I understand it, PT won't release the used memory for a VI if you inactivate it. I know you're talking but a different issue but I thought maybe it could be related?
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtitam View Post

Does it behave the same if you restart between usage in PT and VE-pro?

When it comes to memory, the way I understand it, PT won't release the used memory for a VI if you inactivate it. I know you're talking but a different issue but I thought maybe it could be related?
Yes... Tried rebooting and inserting fresh. No change !
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Which version are you on..?
There was a marked improvement in the CPU spikes issue a couple of updates ago....
It does, however look like a 'not great RTAS encoding' issue.... The same version of VEPRo server running in Reaper as AU doesn't have the dreadful CPU spikes...

As I mentioned in my earlier post though, ONE buffer gives the best results for me at 128. Maybe try that?

Jon
Hi Jon,

thanks for chiming... Latest Version !
Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Hi Jon,

thanks for chiming... Latest Version !
No worries....
Are you running 64bit?
I'm running 32bit (because I have to being on PPC)... But I seem to remember there's something wierd with K4 Memory server and/or running VEPro in 64bit.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid, because I can't test it myself!

Check out here...: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283623

You should be getting much better results on your machine in my opinion...

Jon
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
No worries....
Are you running 64bit?
I'm running 32bit (because I have to being on PPC)... But I seem to remember there's something wierd with K4 Memory server and/or running VEPro in 64bit.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid, because I can't test it myself!

Check out here...: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283623

You should be getting much better results on your machine in my opinion...

Jon
Most my VIs arent 64 compatible. I am running the Server on 32 bits.