How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Korg NanoKontrol & PT LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgers12 View Post
Ya this is what I've been following, its actually where I first heard about all this stuff...but the problem is that I cant get my pro tools to see the JL cooper cs-10 file in the peripherals. The .dll files are in the correct place, but for whatever reason, my comp wont see it as in installed midi controller, which is necessary to get this emulation to work. I am using PT8 btw. Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.
I am having the same issue. If I figure it out I will repost my solution here.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Okay...finally figured it out for the Windows XP OS users...you must have installed Service Pack 3. Not sure about Vista

Step 1. You must download and install the Pro Tools LE 7.4cs8 update from the digidesign website. (its free)

Step 2. Make sure that the NanoKontrol Driver is installed correctly. You may need to uninstall it and reinstall it to make sure.

Step 3. Follow the instructions at this website http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...&Keyword=33031

Step 4. Once you open up the Korg Editor software and select the nanoKontrol you will need to go to Edit / Preferences.

Midi in: nanokontrol 1 slider/knob
Midi out: nanokontrol 1 CTRL

Click OK

Step 5. Now you can set up the CC#'s as instructed on Sweetwater's website, go to the "Communication tab" and click on "write scene set" and then "write scene data". This will program the Korg NanoKontrol. (You may have to do this more than once to get it to work properly) Each time you make a change you must repeat this step so it will program the nanoKontrol.

Now..After you have updated your Pro Tools version to 7.4cs8, you can go to the midi setup and select "cooper". (this is where a lot of us got confused)
Keep the "model" selection at NONE and set your input port and output port to the nanokontrol. Close the window

Go to Setup/Peripherals

Under the Synchronization tab select Cooper 1 for the MTC reader port. Leave the MTC generator port at NONE
Go to the machine control tab / Midi Machine control master and select the cooper 1 after you click the enable button.
Under the midi controllers tab in slot # 1 Type is CS-10
Set the 'receive from' and 'send to' slots to Cooper 1
#channels is 16
click ok

Test the nanokontrol by pushing play on the transport section. This should cause Pro Tools to start playing the track (if it does not repeat step 5). Check faders (1st fader controls volume) Fader 9 is not working for me for some reason...If one of you figure that part out let me know.

I programmed my mute buttons starting from fader 2 going in numerical order CC#2 to CC#9. I have not figured out the solo function set up or the pan set up yet. Again if any of you figure it out please post instruction in here. The other idea I am playing with is setting up the additional tracks to the other scene sets. Not working properly right now but I will probably figure it out. If someone already knows...you know what to do...Post it...

I hope this helps everyone who has been frustrated and confused with this whole backwards process. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

update. The nanoKontrol controls 8 faders starting from the 1st fader on left. The 1st 8 tracks are controlled by the nanoKontrol. You can move other tracks into this 1st block of 8 and it will automatically control the fader and mutes. Just remember that it will only control the tracks that are placed within the 1st block of 8 tracks.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Any news ????
Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Angry Re: Korg NanoKontrol & PT LE

somebody gave me the PT Nano control set to work with my nano-korg control and protools but I dont know what to do with it. Can somebody help please.
mac G4 PPC
Digi001 PT-LE 6.4
It will be very much appreciated-
Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 AM

Hi there. We have also tried to use NanoKontrol with our ProTools 8 on the MAcBook but it seems too much of a bother. Information is too little and simply this indicates a badly (half-) developed product.

We would be grateful if anybody with a working .nktrl_set file pcan send it to us at karydis@asr.gr.

Any additional informaiton, directions, suggestions will be appreciated.

We are shorth of sending the nanokontrol back and opt for the Mackie Control at many times higher cost.

So, any help will be greatly appreciated.

All the best.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 AM

I got a NanoKontrol protools file sent to me and I thank the fellow forum-man for doing so. I use Protools Le 8 with Mbox 2 on a MacBook. PT "sees" the NanoKontrol in the Setup/Midi menus. It also "sees" it in the several tabs of the Preferences Midi menus. I tried to follow in some parallel way the instructions given by Bambu but I fail to make anything working. I must be missing some steps here. It would be great if any of you guys that has got a nanocontrol working on a MAC system with PT, printed a step-by-step procedure for the rest of us, like Bambu has done. Once you have managed to have it working, I assume this would not be too much of a bother. In contrast, it is not so obvious if we are missing a step that messes up everything! This nanokontrol is too nice and handy to forget it. Please help. All the best.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaffolder View Post
Hi, could someone please send me the .nktrl_set file for the nanoKONTROL that is programmed to work with ProTools? I have been reading the guides required to set it up, and have been struggling with trying to figure it out for about a week now. I even have a support ticket on file with Digidesign. I purchased a nanoKONTROL thinking that it would be a simple and very portable controller for my newly acquired Mbox2 and ProTools 8, which I plan to use for my Music Technology college major. Any insight and a copy of the .nktrl_set file would be wonderful! Thank you so MUCH! My email is kdaffolder(at)bsu(dot)edu (<--sorry, did that because of spam)

Peace!
-Kyle

Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.5)
Macbook Pro
Mbox 2
ProTools 8.0
2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2 GB RAM
Hi there Kyle

We have the same setup (except we have a MacBook not a Pro). Failed to make NanoKontrol work with LE 8. although it works with 7.4. Did you manage to make it work with LE 8?

Thank you for responding
Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

An Interesting Thread. I've been using prtools m-powered for about a year and a half and have never had any problems. That is until now when I've tried to get a nanokontrol to work with protools 8.
I'm using Win XP SP3 with protools 8 and when trying to connect a nanokontrol its just doesn't want to know !
I can see the CSL10 option in the peripherals drop down and can even select it, but thats all. The send,recieve and channels remain greyed out.
I've checked that the nanokontrol is installed correctly using the Korg USB driver, and that its programmed via the Korg editor and consequently uploaded to the nanokontrol itsself, but still no go.
But I also have a M-audio keyboard connected and if I select that in the peripherals I can get it to work as a controller !
Now I'm confused !
Thing is I can't remember having this sort of problem in 7.4 .

If anyone successfully gets this working in Protools 8 would they be so kind as to post a step by step 'Idiots' Guide (The idiot being me you understand !).

Cheers

Nearlymen
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 AM

Just solved the Protools 8 Korg nanoKontrol problem!

In the setup, peripherals, midi controllers, set the type as m-audio keyboard.
This enables you to set the nanokontrol as receive from and send to.

Set ch to 8.

Set to receive from: predefined -> nanokontrol, Slider/knob.
Set to send to: predefined -> nanokontrol, Ctrl.

Then open the korg nanokontrol editor.

Set the left most over the korg image setting to 16.

Set the following CCs to the following buttons:
Rew: 114
Play: 117
FF: 115
Loop button: 57 (i will explain this further down)
Stop: 116
Rec: 118

Fader 1-8: 33 - 40
Fader 9 (this will control the master fader directly ,if present): 41
Pan knobs 1-8: 17 - 24
[Reverse the left and right values for each knob. Set right to: 0
Set left to: 127]
(Only problem i had is that these only give you the options of left, right or center. I can't get them to work in intermediate values.)

Set the lower button next to each fader 1-8: 49 - 56 (has to do with the loop button, i will explain)
Set the lower button next to fader 9 (master fader): 15 (bank right)
Set the upper button next to fader 9 (master fader): 14 (bank left)

The loop button cycles through the functions solo track, select track, record enable track, mute track. These are then available through the lower button next to each track.

I have the korg settings file and an image i made with the instructions for each button.
email me at: kazanis@asr.gr