Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Effects Sends Help!!!

Hello,

I posted a similar question to this not long ago. The problem is when sending to outboard effects units. Quite often the sound doesn't make it to the speakers. Now, I know the signal is leaving the computer, making it to the outboard effects unit and making it back into the computer as all the relevent meters are lighting up. I've found that the problem occurs most often when you solo a channel and then unsolo it. The said channel that is being sent to the outboard works before the soloing (of any channel) but disappears when I return to the full mix. Now, is this problem common to all versions of protools LE or just 6.4??

Now the latest problem I'm having is when bouncing to a wave file (during the actual process of bouncing down), the channel that is being sent to the outboard effects can be heard in the mix but when I listen to the actual wave file, that channel is no longer in the mix!!

Anyone have an answer?? I'm desperate here as I have some great outboard gear that is nearly useless because of this!!!

I'm running Protools 6.4 LE
Digi 001
Pentium IV 3.0ghz
512mb ram

Thats about all I can remember for now. An answer would be great!! If you need more info, please reply and I will get you all the info I can - WOW! What a long winded post!!

Thanks!!

Kubba
Old 12-14-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Effects Sends Help!!!

a couple things to check..
make sure your aux channel that you are using for the outboard gear is outputting to 1-2 like all the other channels.

As far as soloing ..if you solo say a guitar channel that has some outboard effect applied through an aux send..you must also solo the aux channel to hear the effect in solo.

I generally put all my AUX channel effects in solo exclude mode. I believe it is CNTRL click on the solo button of the Aux channel and it should go grey. then when you solo a channel the aux channels are not muted.

hope this helps some
bb

as an edit
are you using outboard gear thru an aux chanel send or as a channel insert?

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 PM

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not setting up an AUX track and then sending to that. I've inserted the outboard directly into the original track. So I'm inserting the outboard gear in the "Insert" section of the channel. Does this make sense??

Anyway, thanks for trying. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM

That makes perfect sense in an analog world, but PT (or any DAW) needs a different approach. I suggest you send out to your external processor and record the new signal to its own audio track. This way, you can use the original to help align the processed version(and you will need to align it). Once that is done, simply shut off the original track voice. You can always redo if you need to.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave