Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Simple question about mixer routing

Hello-

Can i output the master to more than one destination? also can those tracks have tdm inserts on them-

For example if I wanted to have the stereo output routed to my control room monitors as well as my studio monitors (in the studio) - is there a way to do that from within PT?

I'll tell you why I really want to know-

I like to build hifi speakers and i have my own DIY studio mains- If I could route the main (stereo) output of a mix to 3 output tracks that could have FX (eq's) on them then the system could easily be my active Xover for the speakers. I do have a 6ch voloume controller so I can mute the system when I need to (eg booting etc) and a passive LP filter on the tweeters.

Also is there a good plugin to do track delays (preferably one that is tuned by sample)? Im using one now to tune the drivers phase accuracy. Thanks -

Ryan
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Simple question about mixer routing

Or what about this-

Is there a limit to the number of aux tracks? not per channel but overall?

And

Does the master have an aux send on it? or more like 3 stereo ones?

EG- since I wouldn't need auxes for anything else on the master track I could potentially use aux's to route them three aux tracks that were routed to different physicaly outputs? Thanks-

Ryan
Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 PM

Using the Aux tracks is the right idea. Send the whole mix (whatever you were going to send to the master) to an Aux track, use the Aux track's sends (pre or post as you see fit) to send to your various monitors, send the Aux track's regular output to the Master (or maybe you don't need a Master track at all).

"....plugin to do track delays..." - Try the Time Adjuster plugins, I think they do what you want (I've only used them as gain adjusters).
Old 04-25-2005, 11:20 PM

In TDM you can assign multiple outputs for your hardware in the I/O Setup dialog.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-26-2005, 06:13 AM

Or, press and hold the "Start" button while you click on a channel output. The output you select will be added to the previously selected.

Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 04-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Cool-

Steve would that mess up the bussing at all- Sorry I don't have an HD rig right now. I'm planning on getting one and I'm just trying to figure out as much in advance as I can. Right now I'm using cubase so I am just tryng to understand the capabilites/limitations of the PT mixer. But I would be really happy if I could use TDM plugs for my crossover easily without messing up the workflow of PT.

It seems like the only drawback there would be that you couldn't monitor through any FX that were on the master bus right? Would it be possible to assign the master bus to an aux track? I imagine not as that could have feedback potential.

But you could just trreat that aux bus as a master essentially. Also would it still be possible to assign the equivolent of group busses to the "master aux"? So I could still have a drum group that could have stereo inserts (for the group) assigned to that "master aux". And then if that aux was assigned to the master it would still bounce correctly. . .

Anyway thanks for the other answers- I'm not sure they address using different insert plugins on the different outputs though (let me know if I'm wrong on that though)-

Ryan
Old 04-28-2005, 02:43 AM

You want to have several master outputs with different plugins on them, right?
So, you just create as many master faders as you want (and your hardware outputs permits) and on those master faders you put the plugins you want.

Then, you just assign the auxes and tracks to those multiple master faders.
I would use the 'Start'-button + click on output way because it's the fastest way for me to do it.

Regards,
John
Hajp AB

old site:
Soundfactory JPR
Old 04-28-2005, 07:13 AM

Your description is getting somewhat specific, but I think John R's answer may be all you need. RE some of your other questions, there are 128 Aux Inputs and 64 internal busses in TDM. You should be able to do the crossover technique without interrupting anyting, and I suspect you'll find it simple, once you've learned the tools.

Other than that, I'd just say that in general routing is VERY flexible, and you'll probably be able to do whatever it is you have in mind. To get more specific directions without sitting at a station, download the manual (Reference Guide - link at top of this page to 'Technical Documents'). If you have access to an LE system (002, etc), you might try an hour at it, as the software systems are VERY similar in the way they function.