Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Default \"Auto Rename\" regions BUG ? IT GETS WORSE!!!

Hi There,

I have experienced the following anomaly :

1) http://www.twentyfiveghosts.com/Home...ect_Naming.png

2) http://www.twentyfiveghosts.com/Home...ect_Naming.png

In # 1 the consecutive naming appears correctly from 0-22

in # 2 the consecutive naming appears "incorrectly" from TIM_TK_019 in stead of 020 PT calls it 0110

This is VERY UN - practical especially if you auto rename the next file into TIM_TK_02 - then PT will place the regions NOT SORTED correctly - and they will become mixed with each other making it very hard to figure out what region belong to which take ( I did the takes in Loop recording mode - so the file called (0) is the "main" file and the rest of the regions are calles 1,2 etc...))

I find it weird that PT auto names the regions correctly if the last character is NOT a number but a word.... in my case "ONE" and "01"

Is this a bug? If not - it absolutely makes NO sense - In either case - a fix would be GREATLY appreciated)))

IN ADDITION I'VE FOUND THE FOLLOW FATAL BUG...

I had now AUTO RENAMED my looped recording containing 40 auto created regions from TIM_TK#1 to TIM_TK_ONE Protools created: TIM_TK_ONE0 thru' to 40 and they were all named correctly - two of those regions were on an active Playlist in my edit window. I saved my project and played it back - then I went to anther playlist to make a comparison. As I went back to the other playlist containing my renamed regions it showed up correctly but also they were the only two regions in the regionslist. The 38 other regions that were there before had now VANISHED completely. The only thing still there is the "Whole" take and the two regions that I had pulled into the playlist. So to gather this up : Pro Tools somehow disregarded ALL the regions NOT assigned to a playlist from the regions list.

Just to ensure that this was NOT a corrupted session I opened a new one - did a loop recording and auto renamed it - and guess what - it happened AGAIN. Like I said before - I cant, in my wildest imagination, think of anything useful to this so called feature if it is NOT indeed a malicious BUG
Old 06-20-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: \"Auto Rename\" regions BUG ? IT GETS WORSE!!!

Have you tried to name the file TIM_TK_10 ? And then do the renaming? Does the same happen? Maybe it's the 0 before the 10 that confuses Pro Tools. I know it shouldn't but try and see if that's where the problem comes from.

Hope it helps
Timothy
Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 AM

Hi Timothy,

well I sort of figured it out by the example #2 by calling it One instead 01....

However,it matters not what I call it - auto renaming will kill all regions not in a playlist after shifting playlists... This is 99% frustrating…
#
Thanks for your thought though but I am NEVER auto renaming anything again until digi fixes or confirm this as a bug and promise a soon fix...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:28 AM

Just reproduced this, following the instructions in your first post, and BAM - the regions are gone.

Thought to let you know, that it's not just your system.

Good to know that there is this bug, so we are aware to keep away from auto renaming (although I never use the auto rename option). Thanks for informing us.

Timothy
Old 06-20-2007, 02:55 AM

Auto rename regions has never worked properly from the beginning.

I gave up on it years ago, and would have thought they had fixed it by now, but obviously not
much has changed.

I used to cut all instrument takes into pieces and put them in the sampler, to be able to play any lick on the keyboard.

That would sometimes give me around a hundred regions that had to be renamed.

PT never managed to do it right. Sometimes it would start with 1,2,3,4.. but the all of a sudden the next number would be
22, then 5,6,10,9, and so on.

I would always have to do it all by hand.

For years I hoped for the next software version to fix it, but it was never fixed until I gave up.

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 06-20-2007, 03:34 AM

If what you are saying here is true (I'M not saying its not) then I find it outrageous that it has not been fixed. There has been numerous of PAID upgrades and it should have been taken care of along with many other bugs. I for one aint gonna pay for another update until they cure:

1) Graphic Freezes
2) Workspace Browser
3) Audio Preview
4) Auto Rename regions
Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
If what you are saying here is true (I'M not saying its not) then I find it outrageous that it has not been fixed.
Well, to tell you the truth, I just don´t know since I haven´t used Auto Rename in years.

Maybe it did work for a while.

This thread just brought up old memories and I couldn´t resist grouching.

Altogether I have to say I´m really happy with my rig and with the way Digidesign is developing and improving
the program from version to version.

There will always be bugs and hickups, but there is no alternative for me.

I always like to compare it to a formula one racing car. Because you have to improve and develop it all the time - in order to stay competetive - you have to accept that problems will occur.

Cheers,

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Avid

I'm trying to get a gauge for how many people this is affecting. Can you chime in if you find this issue particularly troublesome and post any specifics about how it affects your workflow?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 PM

I've reported issues with this feature before -- especially if you use AS plug-ins and then try and use it on stereo regions.

For instance:

It appears to choke if you've consolidated a stereo region and the names don't end in .L or .R -- so the region name becomes: name.01.L.02_01.

If you do use an AS plug-in on a stereo pair and the region names are changed and then you try to use Auto Rename.. the Auto-Rename option is greyed out. The workaround due to the naming issue mentioned is to use Auto Rename on the left and the right channels separately... but when you click on the regions the option isn't available. To reenable the option you must Alt (Option) click on the stereo files' carets to expand the region list to show both left and right regions... then the option is available.

It needs a rewrite IMNSHO - currently it's very temperamental and needs very specific parameters for it to work correctly. (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it exists, it just needs some improvements).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 AM

I think that until you've found a fix for this problem you should make that command invisible in future updates.... It is hazardous to use if preserving regions is an instinct that one possess