Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Default hardware needed for mpowered?

Hi there,

I am looking to get into computer based recording and am interested in the m powered pt system. I need to have AT VERY LEAST 8 mic preamps for simultaneous recording into pro tools. What interfaces/ mic preamps should i buy in order for this to happen and how would i connect them all. I have a laptop with a 4 pin 1394 firewire port. Can i buy a mic preamp with 8 inputs, connect it to an m powered supported interface and then run that to my firewire port? If so, how and what pieces of hardware, specifically, should i buy? Your help will be very appreciated. Thanks a lot!!!

Seth
Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: hardware needed for mpowered?

The only MAudio hardware that you would be able to do what you want would be the 1814.

You would need the 1814, and something with 8 preamps. Your choices for the preamps vary greatly in price and quality, and it would be totally up to you on what you are willing to spend and for what kind of quality. Among your choices would be a small mixer with 8+ channels of pre (mackie or similar), an 8 channel pre with analog outs, and/or an 8 channel digital unit (such as the presonus digimax LT) with 8 channels of pre into lightpipe.

Like I said, there are tons of choices, and they are yours to make. I would personally recommend the digimax.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-26-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey!

Thanks for your help. Ok...heres what i think i want to do. I think for my needs it may be best to go with the MAudio 1814 interface. This will provide me 8 line ins from a mixer and 8 more chanels from a preamp via adat. Correct? This would allow me to record 16 simultaneous channels for individual mixing in the computer...right? As for the mic preamp, i am thinking of going with the behringer ada8000. I would like the presonus digimax LT, but for now i am on a tight budget and will settle for a cheaper preamp...is this ok? As for a mixer, I have an old peavey 16 channel mixer that I am going to try and use. However...i did not see line outs for the channels, instead they have pre and post...and send and return...is this the same as line out or will i be better off buying a smaller mixer? So basically if I have understood everything correctly, I will run my mics (being recorded simultaneously) into my mixer and or mic preamp...send the audio from the mixer through the line outs for the individual channels into the line ins on the interface...along with the audio from the mic preamp via adat to the interface...which will then go through my firewire cable and into my computer for individual mixing of the tracks....correct? If this all sounds correct please let me know along with any other tips you may have...also...what software do you think is better....pro tools m powered or sonar 4 studio edition...thanks again for all of your help i really really really appreciate it!!!!

Seth
Old 09-26-2005, 09:18 PM

Lots of questions in one post there, man. You are correct in all of your assumptions. As for the bear-ringer, I have low opinions about that unit, but it will work for what you want.

As for the peavey, I couldn't say without knowing which model it is.

As for which software I think is better? I switched from Cakewalk/Sonar to Pro Tools two years ago after using it since Cakewalk version 2. I've never looked back or regretted my decision. I still own Sonar 4 Pro, but I only use it for transfers for clients who don't have PT.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-26-2005, 10:36 PM

hey,
thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it.

Seth