Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Best way to connect control rom with studio

At the university where I just started working the phonetics department has a soundstudio for recording and listening to speach, etc. Now it's a little messy (with several patch panels on the table and cables going everywhere and some equipement not in use any longer). It's my task to clean things up, hatch out any errors and maintain the studio.

The gear in use is a Focusrite saffire pro 40 soundcard/preamp connected to the computer (Windows XP with Adobe Audition 2.0 + saffire software mixer) and a big knob from mackie. There are two set of monitors (Genelec). One set in the control rom and another set in the studio. There are two KSM 44 microphones in the studio and a headset. There is also a screen and keyboard/mouse set up in the studio so students/teachers can control recording/playback from the studio.

There are two active sets of patch panels. One in the control rom (loose on the table) and the other in the studio (on the floor). These patch panels are connected to each other with slim cables inside one big cable wich goes through a small hole in the wall between the studio and the control rom.

I was just wondering how other people have set up their connections between the studio and control rom. I was thinking that the existing hole should be drilled a bit larger to fit better/thicker cables than the thin ones connected between the patch panels that are there now. Would it not be better to get rid of the existing patch panels and rather pull the necessary cables between the two rooms to get best possible signals, or are the patch panels smart to keep ?

Maby I should get wall mounted patch panels, but I'm not shure how these should be connected ?

Any thaughts ?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Best way to connect control rom with studio

a propane tank and a match come to mind... then rebuild

it's hard to make recommendations with out seeing the place:
yes, panels and bays would make things look better
check what the cable is before you start pulling it out Mogomi is thin so you may have good multi-cable

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Best way to connect control rom with studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
a propane tank and a match come to mind... then rebuild
Hehe, I guess I would not get to keep the job for long doing that.

But I'm also thinking rebuild after a while. I could not do that now because the students start the semester next week
so I have to work with it the way it is for now.

Im just getting ideas on whats the best way to connect things together between control rom and studio.

Thanks for reply.