Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Getting a New G5

Hello all, this is my first post but I've been reading for awhile. I have an MBox with Pro tools 6.4 loaded on a dell laptop. And well I've got fed up with it and decided its time to make the switch to a Mac (iMAC G5), for pro tools and other reasons. So I am posting here to make sure that I'm ordering the right specs for the new computer. Here is what I am planning on getting:

• 1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
• 160GB Serial ATA drive
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
• AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac/eMac
• 17-inch widescreen LCD
• 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
• AirPort Extreme
• Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I upgraded the ram from 512 to 1 GB, and the only thing I may change is a bigger hard drive for an extra 68 dollars. I also have a external USB 2.0 hard drive. I know that it is recommended to use fire wire, so I may pick up a new external firewire drive if you guys think I may need it. So if you guys could give me the thumbs or change anything on what I'm planning on getting that will be great. I will also be updating to a new version of Pro tools sometime soon. Thanks for all the help in advance!

-Greg
Old 05-08-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Getting a New G5

I would spend the little bit extra and get the 2 GHz G5 with superdrive, but thats just me.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:45 PM

Yea, I think I may spend the extra 200 dollars and do that. Anyone have any other input? Should Pro Tools run well with this set up?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:49 PM

get the tower...
Old 05-08-2005, 05:54 PM

too much money to get the tower, i would if i could.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 PM

Get the tower bro.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:41 PM

I dunno, I think I'd actually prefer the iMac. Obviously it's nowhere near as powerful, but it just looks so damn nice, and for what I do I don't need that much power. BUT, that's just me. I would go for the 2Ghz and superdrive, and I think the wireless keyboard/mouse is a must. As far as compatibility just check the compatibility page. Just remember, no go on Tiger for a little while longer.

Good luck and enjoy,
matt
Old 05-09-2005, 03:52 AM

IMHO, I'd go for the tower.

At work we have 16 iMac G5's all running Pro Tools LE 6.4 and every single one of them had gone down with an overheating fault at some point in the last few moths, after sending them back to Apple to get a new capacitor they seem to be okay. Mind you that's what we get for ordering a 1st generation Apple product. Apparently this is sorted in the newer iMacs.

I have a G5 tower at home (see sig). I used to have an old style G4 iMac (lamp) and that ran PTLE pretty well, but is not even close to the tower. Plus you have the flexibilty with a tower of adding loads of RAM, another Hard Drive, internal sound cards, etc.

Just my £0.02 worth

Stu
Lacie FW D2 80GB for audio backup
Old 05-09-2005, 04:10 AM

Hi

LE is a host based system so if you have the extra cash get a faster CPU. With the new G5 2.7 on it's way the other Macs have dropped in price so a dual 2.0 is cheaper at the moment than a Dual 1.8 was just a few weeks ago well atleast here in Africa it has thank goodness. Take note that the dual processor is not supported by Pro Tools and only by setting your CPU use to 99% does it do anything. Another thing is X-slots not sure if ya will need them but hey the higher Cpu G5 models have more of them that the Dual 1.8!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I think if I get the new computer I'm gonna have to go to the iMac, if I got the tower it would just be too much money. However, now I am not really sure if I want to get the iMac if I am going experience problems like I did when I was using my PC. I am trying to get a Pro Tools system that I can actually record my music on. Decisions decisions.