How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Beat Detective alternative use?

Hey all,

First off thanks for this forum. Coming from Logic a few years back (still use both) this place has answered so many of my questions about PT.

Beat Detective; If I have a lead track, is it possible to use beat detective, based off that track to auto locate where possible drum hits would fit best?

I've not seen it used this way, but was wondering if it was possible. Basically to take your lead track, & pretty much give you a groove template you could just fill in. I hope that makes sense.

I would essentially create edit groups with my typical drums (I track them each separately) but leave them blank. Or is BD just going to give me drum hit spots that are in line with my lead instead of the silences in the lead?

TIA
Old 01-17-2015, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective alternative use?

Good question. I'm pretty sure that BD is going to have trouble "extrapolating" an appropriate groove during the spaces.
A possible work around would be to record a shaker track, or some other percussive instrument. You can play the approximate groove that you imagine while listening to the lead track. Once you record it, you can slide around any errors you may have made until you've got it feeling right.
Then use BD to create a groove template from that.

I used that trick to follow the action in a film sequence once. It worked out pretty well until they re-edited it!!

I hope that helps. Good luck