Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed View Post
I’ve been happily mixing away on my ASUS P4C800-E deluxe HD3 PCI with Procontrol (built on Nikki K’s advice) for the last 4 years and it’s still a very cool system, I got PT8 HD the other day and it works just fine, there does seem to be an increasing reliance on RTAS plugins and having read every post here twice regarding building a new system I still feel I need to ask a question .

i7 is the way to go, incredible power as exhibited by the guys over at the LE build forum with their dverb tests achieving 400 to 500 plugins ...wow!! There aren’t too many motherboard choices available for a HD3 PCIx around, Philippe in Belgium (pm mastering studio) has his P7P55D working well it seems and it’s my best candidate at the moment. The Supermicro board of Kirkgale and Third Eye Studios seem to be fine with a HD2 but has difficulties with HD3 and I don’t want to lose a card.
I did come across this board GA-P55A-UD3R which has 3 PCI slots USB3 etc and it looks very promising
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=3240 has anyone given it a try? anyone for-see any problems? If this board works then people with HD3 PCIx would at least have a choice for their builds.
I don't think this MB would work for HD3. The PCI slots would need to be right next to each other for the HD cards to work. It would probably be great for HD2 though.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM

FYI, just ordered different parts for a new PC and the motherboard that's on its way is the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, with a 3.2 Ghz i7.
I haven't found any definitive post showing it works properly and how many cards will work in it, but I'm hoping for the best. I'll report back in a week.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
FYI, just ordered different parts for a new PC and the motherboard that's on its way is the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, with a 3.2 Ghz i7.
I haven't found any definitive post showing it works properly and how many cards will work in it, but I'm hoping for the best. I'll report back in a week.
That MB looks pretty good. Hopefully the big heatsink or whatever it is (says workstation on it) will allow the cards to snap fully into the slots. If it does, looks like you could run a pretty powerful HD rig. Eager to hear what you think.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
I don't think this MB would work for HD3. The PCI slots would need to be right next to each other for the HD cards to work. It would probably be great for HD2 though.
Ahh true, well spotted, I didn't catch that the pci slots were not consecutive, so we are back to a choice of one
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
That MB looks pretty good. Hopefully the big heatsink or whatever it is (says workstation on it) will allow the cards to snap fully into the slots. If it does, looks like you could run a pretty powerful HD rig. Eager to hear what you think.
Meh, the frickin' motherboard was a lemon. Checked around the internet for the same kind of problem and found a couple of posts describing the same thing. They had to be replaced by a new one. So I guess that's what I'll have to do too.
BTW the heatsink is shorter (height-wise) than the pcie slots so the cards will fit in fine.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 AM

hi i am not realy good in english. but have a question: im currently looking for pcie HD3 mother board.

i read peoples used ASUS P7P55D
but thera is some diffenrent P7P55D (premium evo and deluxe)

did ASUS P7P55D Premium work fine with hd3?

and dont realy understand what problem with ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution?

best wishes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM

The P7P55D series of cards won't work for the regular PCI/PCI-X cards. Not unless you saw slots into the giant star/square shaped heatsink that covers the P55 chip. It's too tall and the X portion of the HD cards stick out about an inch past the slots so the cards won't seat in their slots. They hit the giant heatsink. Kinda sucks b/c there isn't much in the Intel LGA 1156 bracket for new motherboards that fit regular PCI-X cards. I ended up returning the ASUS and ordering the MSI P55-CD53 motherboard. There currently isn't anything in the Intel LGA 1366 with 3 PCI/PCI-X slots available. Huge hole in the market. Seems the LGA 775 has more options.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 PM

ty for answer.
but i was lookin mobo for PCIe setup..

i read about p55d premium on asus site and thinks its not good for hd 3

so i will go for P6T6 WS Revolution.
now just lookin if someone can approve that it works fine with HD3 PCIe.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Okay, so far so good. I've put one HD Core Card (PCIe) in just to test the waters and PTHD 8 has opened up fine. Bare in mind though that I haven't done any extensive tests in Pro Tools and I'm using Snow Leopard right now. I'll give Win7 a go later, but before that my next step is to try HD2.

I'll report back.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Working with HD2 now. Seems fine.