Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Default Set up seperate songs from string of songs in one recording

I am a new comer to Pro tools so please be patient with my questions.

We recorded about 11 live songs with 13 tracks into one file. I would like to separate each of these 13 track songs into separate files to work on them. Any easy way to do this? I am new to this so talk slowly!

Grainbelter
Old 03-29-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Set up seperate songs from string of songs in one recor

Cut all the tracks at the same spot to separate regions(you can rename them if you want by double click on each region). Now you have some choices. If you want to totally separate everything, you can export all the regions for any given song to a new folder or even to the desktop. Now create a new session on your audio drive(use the same sample rate and bit depth) and use "import audio to track" and select all the regions that you just exported(select "use current folder"). They should all show up in your new session and if you cut(separated) all at the same spot in the time line, they will all line up with each other. You can also(once you have separated all regions and tracks) do the same(create new session>import audio to track>) and point to the audio files folder of the original session.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Set up seperate songs from string of songs in one recor

Here's what I do:

- Load all the audio into one session called "template"
- Pick a song, time-align and get a general mix set up, save session
- Save a copy of the template session in the name of each song
- Clear away all other audio from each session, preserving time alignment
- Tweak away

It requires stitching the songs back together, but there's usually too much dead air in between anyway.

I was thinking of starting a live recording thread specifically for workflow tweaks like this! I'm curious if anyone mixes in one session without breaking up the audio. This is the other way of doing it, which I'm curious to try:

- load all audio into one session
- set it to record back into the session*
- time-align, get general mix set up
- hit record
- for isolated mix adjustments, hit stop, make adjustment, resume recording from just before the adjustment
- when completed, consolidate mix recordings into continuous file
- load into 2 track editor to edit/master

* set track outputs to aux 31/32, add stereo mix audio track with inputs 31/32 and interface outputs

This has the advantage of being much faster when real-time bouncing, but rather sketchy for me.