Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 AM

Default Artist Control initial setup challenge

When I load the Eucon software (from disk or download) I loose mouse functionality. I can scroll and I can right click but I cannot left click. This is problematic in completing the setup and just about any thing else. I have to reboot and catch the Eucon icon just as its showing up in the system tray in order to disable Eucon and then the mouse works as expected.

Searched the duc using inhouse search function and google. Searched knowledge base. I seem to find some issues re app nap on Macs. This, is not that.

I am using a kvm switch by Tripp-Lite, however during the process of checking through this problem, I only have the main computer running. I've tried wireless and wired mouse to kvm switch and even bypassed the kvm switch entirely. None of this prevents the snafu.

My mouse of preference is a Logitech trackball M-570 I think. Windows wants to use an HID device driver for it, logitech has no specific driver download for it. Logitech does have a support app download with drivers dated more recently than the stock windows driver the OS prefers. I'm forcing the logitech drivers associated with that app via device manager currently but still no love. (mouse works better though thank you very much logitech)

The various pdf in the artist series download suggest that there are some adjustments which can be made in the artist controls software which are accessible from the icon in the system tray.... but with the limited mouse functionality I can only left click before Eucon takes hold.. if I wait too long after the Eucon icon appears in system tray I can no longer left click on that icon. (or anything else)

I have not gotten to a point where the control surface is actually connected and perhaps once that happens the puter will be less confused. Not holding out much hope on that count as I can't imagine simply loading the Eucon software/disabling mouse functionality being an intent of the software especially when the hardware isn't attached and no DAW is running.

Am I doing something patently stupid here? I confess... I do get that gut level vibe.

Help you help me.
Yes, I am optimized. No I haven't deleted pref etc since I haven't opened PT yet after installing the Eucon software (3.2 by the way) Yes, the registry is clean per CCleaner with no dead ends. This is a dedicated ProTools rig all plugins are up to date. Device manager is happy. Very stable system, runs crazy amounts of VI and plugs with ridiculous track counts and the system usage window typically shows lots of resources to spare.

SiSoftware Sandra (this report is from about a month ago, but there have been no hardware changes since then)

ID
Host Name : PT11Main
Workgroup : STUDIO

Computer
Model : GigaByte Z87X-UD4H
Serial Number : To be fille***********
Chassis : GigaByte Desktop
Mainboard : GigaByte Z87X-UD4H-CF
Serial Number : To be fille***********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) F7 08/03/2013
Intel vPro : 9.00.03.1347
Total Memory : 31.89GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4C 8T 3.89GHz, 3.9GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1150

Chipset
Memory Controller : Gigabyte Core (Haswell) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 16GB DIMM DDR3 1.33GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : KHX1600C10D3/8GX 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1332

Video System
Monitor/Panel : ACR Acer AL2216W
(1680x1050, 22.0")
Monitor/Panel : ACR AL2216W
(1680x1050, 22.0")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (8CU 1536SP SM5.0 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 2GB 7GHz 256-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (8CU 1536SP SM5.0 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 2GB 7GHz 256-bit, PCIe 3.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (1536SP 8C 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 2GB 7GHz 256-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (1536SP 8C 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 2GB 7GHz 256-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (160SP 20C 600MHz/1.25GHz, 64MB DDR3 1.33GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)
CUDA GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (1536SP 8C 1GHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 2GB 7GHz 256-bit)

Storage Devices
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD) : 466GB (C:)
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD) : 466GB (H:)
Seagate ST2000DX001-1CM164 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 2TB (E:)
Seagate ST2000DX001-1CM164 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 2TB (F:)
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 932GB (G:)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 350MB (NTFS)
RecSSD (H:) : 466GB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD)
Samples (E:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST2000DX001-1CM164 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)
Recording (F:) : 2TB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST2000DX001-1CM164 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)
EW CCC (G:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)
Hard Disk (C:) : 465GB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, SSD)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Gigabyte Lynx Point LPC Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8728F
Audio Device : Intel Core (Haswell) HD Audio Controller
Audio Device : Gigabyte Lynx Point HD Audio Controller
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : Gigabyte Lynx Point 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller
Disk Controller : Gigabyte 91xx SATA 6G Controller
USB Controller 1 : Gigabyte Lynx Point USB xHCI Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Gigabyte Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
USB Controller 3 : Gigabyte Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Send to Microsoft OneNote 15 Driver (1200x1200, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V (Ethernet, 1Gbps)
Wireless Adapter : 802.11n Wireless LAN Card

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 Home 6.03.9600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 8.1

Note on report: The report shows Network services that reflect being connected to the internet for the sake of posting on the DUC. Typically the Wifi is disabled and the Intel Ethernet port is used to network a separate pc that hosts VI.

Thanks in advance for insights and help.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Artist Control initial setup challenge

I suspect you are correct in that I may not have completed the Eucon install. The behavior I am describing is exhibited after using the installation disc. I then uninstalled and Ccleaned the registry. Then I went to the Avid site and obtained the version 3.2 for 64bit windows and it did the same thing. I have not gotten any further than that. Though the quick start guide seems to suggest that's pretty much all that's required. The documentation suggests that there are some tweakable parameters accessed from selecting the icon... which with no mouse functionality isn't something I can access in order to explore.

In order to use my mouse, I can either do as you suggest to get to control panel and turn off Eucon OR bring up hidden icons from the menu bar and disable there since the icon shows up a little before the app begins to effect the mouse control.

Otherwise if Eucon is functioning in the task manager I can't really use the mouse. I used to be pretty handy with a jog wheel..... but I'm pretty sure I'll need a mouse to navigate around still. Edit: No left click function on the mouse means I can't select ProTools to open it once the Eucon finishes loading in hidden icon tray.

Edit: I am assuming that Eucon must be active when I start ProTools right? In other words, if I disable Eucon in task manager so I can use my mouse, then load a ProTools session and enable Eucon in the appropriate ProTools drop down menu, I'm thinking PT isn't going to see/interact with the Artist Control.

Last edited by WilliebSR; 10-23-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Am following your advice right this minute.
Two points worthy of mention.
First the driver in Human Interface Devices for Avid was a signed 32bit driver. I still have the 3.2 download in the download folder so I confirmed that I had indeed downloaded the 64bit package. Not sure if this is a red herring or a factor.

Second, while uninstalling EuControl from control panel I receive an error message as follows:
Error 1905. Module C:\Program Files\Euphonix\EuCon\EuphControlPrefs.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel.

Will select the radio button "OK" and then search for the dll and attempt to delete and again run CClean

CCleaner finds dead end registry entries associated with Eucon. Fixed all, rescanned, finds autorun log dead end. Fixed, rescanned no issues.

Searching for dll mentioned above. Uninstall of Eucon leaves a Euphonic folder in programs file tree. but no dll matching the error message address. Deleted remnant folder.
run search for dll returns a "No items match your search."

Back to Device Manager to remove midi controllers.
File tree shows no "sound devices" section
There are file tree titles for software devices, Sound, video and game controllers etc so just to be sure I went through each file tree item on the list and there are no entries for Eucon midi devices for me to select in order to delete.

Posting this now. Will reboot, reinstall 3.2 and report back shortly.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 AM

No joy.

As soon as Eucon is active left click of mouse is no longer functional. Even when windows is testing for compatibility.

I was able to confirm that it is set to run as administrator and attempted to run in compatibility mode with Windows 8 to see if that might be a 'fix'. Nope

Other observations which may or may not be pertinent.
In test mode the app hangs ("hangs" is not accurate but for all intents and purposes outside test mode I can not select the radio button for "finish" to close out the installation app and inside test mode I can't select any of the windows processes as in nothing on the task manager window and none of the radio buttons associated with the compatibility test, NOR the "finish" radio button on the Eucon installer's pop up. Essentially once the Eucon installs no left click is possible.
Just for clarity's sake. The mouse will still move the pointer around, as the pointer hovers at various points they do highlight as expected, right click seems to function normally, left click however does nothing.

Running in test mode gives opportunity to see some of the processes in operation when the mouse stops working.
Of interest perhaps??? Rundll32 is happening....... but this is supposed to be a 64bit 'thang' right? As I stated in last post device manager was showing a 32 bit signed driver rather than a 64bit driver.and......yup after reloading the software the human interface section with Avid Virtual keyboard is again showing a signed 32bit driver installed..... Sound, video and game controllers has an entry for Euphonix virtual MIDI currently as well.
Otherwise the Task Manager shows the The Eucontrol build is 3.2.0 8973262

Next?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:14 AM

kdarbyshirebryant, thanks so much for responding to my cries for help thus far. I bought this equipment a couple of months ago but delayed doing the install until work load and desk real estate were more favorable. I've submitted a request to the retailer for assistance so perhaps they will supply the info needed for the asc or themselves know the 'fix'.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 AM

Update:
Still need assistance.

Clearly there is a software conflict.
Attempts to fix include trying various mice, utilizing various ports. Verifying most updated drivers, even rolling some of them back. Uninstalling Eucon completely along with all apple software and reinstalling to insure most recent and bug free. Tried bypassing ethernet hub. Then there's the sweet talk and the threats.

Even tried Windows help desk with remote assistance since I have some time left on a service agreement. Here's perhaps an item of interest, the individual on the other end of remote assistance DID have mouse function to include left click while I could not. I thought that was bizarre.....

If there is a resource conflict, its not showing up in control panel and for what its worth.. its not showing up in bios... (yeah... I'm that desperate)

Still waiting to hear back from retailer to see if they'll take a crack at this or pass me on to Avid. In the meantime, can anyone suggest what to try or where to look next?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the added input kdarbyshirebryant.

I can confirm that my device manager reflects those items in its file tree with corresponding drivers.

One update in the 'things I've tried so far" bin:

Up to my last post all mice tried were usb variations... as in I tried different mice using ports on the kvm, disconnecting the kvm and trying both connecting directly to the motherboard on the backpanel as well as the frontpanel. (both usb2 and usb3 by the way) None of that made any difference.

Today I tried using an older ps2 mouse connected at the motherboards backpanel using a specific ps2 mouse (green) input. Same results. No left click on the mouse while every other mouse function appears normal.

This is maddening. Where's the conflict? I was considering going to the store and buying a few different mice, but if they all are going to utilize microsoft generic drivers it seems that I won't really be trouble shooting but rather just repeating the same scenario.

Isn't there someone from Avid/Euphonix monitoring these boards?
In closing I wish to express my thanks to the one person who attempted to help out of all those who viewed... none of which were Avid. I am not motivated to enter into any agreement with a company which behaves in this manner. This present experience has pretty well resolved that question for me.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 AM

I may have this problem on a Mac.

I thought my mouse (Apple Bluetooth) was going bad until I saw this problem. While I usually can click, sometimes it doesn't work. I ofter get no response with the mouse losing contact and then connecting again. Sometimes it doesn't track well with the mouse having no effect on the pointer.

Any suggestions on a Mac?

Using 3.2 software
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Sorry Park for not responding sooner. Been tied up trying to get this resolved. I do not have a mac specific answer for you.

Thus far I can tell you that my problem seems to be related with the OS forcing the video driver to be that of the motherboard instead of the Nvidia card. I tried a couple of things to fix this but ultimately I had to go into bios and turn off the motherboard's intel video.

One other conflict I discovered was a driver for an M-Audio Axiom keyboard. Don't really need that driver anymore as ProTools 11 sees all the controls and automation.... that may be protools but that also might be that I have vienna instruments pro seeing those knobs n sliders too. Not sure. What I am sure of though, is that with PT, Vienna and Eucon along with that driver the Eucon in control panel wants 30% of CPU and memory... without that driver it idles at 0% and when I'm running a pro tools session I can still automate all of the keyboards sliders and knobs.

One suggestion I received from Avid was to create a new user account on my pc. That worked to the extent that I had intermittent use of the mouse.. probably less than what you experience... still better than no left click at all.
After you create a new user account, simply copy the old user folder and paste into the new user folder, its quite simple.

Hope some of this info will save another DUC member some time in the future.
I want to close with this. Once I was actually able to get through to Avid they were VERY professional, VERY attentive and I am VERY thankful. That's a better 'capping off' of this thread than my previous rant.