Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Re: HDX Core Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I leave the computer in Analog...

But there shouldn’t be a problem by picking up the ADAT Spdif signal coming out of a Mac Pro tower and putting it into the 192 chassis

It should pass Audio without PT being open.....
Thanks, you've been very educational. I'll see if I can get this to work.

I thank you for your assistance. This may interest others here as well.

John-
Old 04-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Default HDX Core Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Royal View Post
Thanks, you've been very educational. I'll see if I can get this to work.

I thank you for your assistance. This may interest others here as well.
I am not the only one running my system like this.

I simply moved to this option because is the least dependent on Avid to fix the problem.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I am not the only one running my system like this.

I simply moved to this option because is the least dependent on Avid to fix the problem.
Yes, the merit in your approach is appealing. If you can recall, the analog audio pass thru your interface as a consequence of specific hardware settings in the PT IO? Or, for example, is Analog 1-2 mapped to Analog Out 1-2, by default?

Since my CPU and our 192 interfaces are 65 feet apart, I need to be thoughtful about long distance connectivity.

Again, thank you.

John-
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 AM

I note that AVID HDX does appear in System Preferences > Sound > Output if: Pro Tools is closed, and if the Playback Engine is toggled between HDX and some other option, then back to HDX before PTR is closed. I wonder if anyone is able to access AVID HDX in System Prefs if Pro Tools is open.

Once AVID HDX is selected in System Prefs as Sound Output, my 192 channels 1/2 act as Core Audio out.

What I don't yet know is whether Core Audio out can be routed to something other than Analog !&2 out.

This still leaves us, as YYR123 points out, vulnerable to OS fickle behavior. I'm going to see if I can can the MacPro's ADAT Optical path to pass thru the 192 as a second alternative.

John-
Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you and continuing with that theme, do you depart the computer hardware in analog or digital signal? Is there a way that we can "program" the 192 to pass audio, from Input A to Output B, without PT being open?

I should know this but don't.

John-
So to clear up a few things Core Audio for Avid HD Hardware was broken with Yosemite
But currently as of PT 12 something and OS Sierra it is working again. I use it all the time on my system configured as (below in sig line )

Yes it works when PT is not running. In fact I believe it only works when PT is not running .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
So to clear up a few things Core Audio for Avid HD Hardware was broken with Yosemite

But currently as of PT 12 something and OS Sierra it is working again. I use it all the time on my system configured as (below in sig line )

Yes it works when PT is not running. In fact I believe it only works when PT is not running .

With the System Preferences Sound window open, I can watch the Avid HDX option disappear, and then reappear, as Pro Tools is opened, and then closed.

The prospect of routing CPU output digitally thru an interface is nice. As is argued above, Core Audio, and its unreliabilities, could be bypassed. I haven’t looked into the details of how one could route Optical In to AES out of a 192 interface, but that would be the best option for my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
With the System Preferences Sound window open, I can watch the Avid HDX option disappear, and then reappear, as Pro Tools is opened, and then closed.

The prospect of routing CPU output digitally thru an interface is nice. As is argued above, Core Audio, and its unreliabilities, could be bypassed. I haven’t looked into the details of how one could route Optical In to AES out of a 192 interface, but that would be the best option for my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well yes and understandable if you wish to bypass Core Audio But I was just noting that as far as I can tell (at least on my system with the OS and PTHDN versions I am running ) Core Audio is now completely reliable. And again to clarify "reliability" per se, was never actually the issue for me it was and still is reliable , The issue was when Apple changed the OS code for Yosemite, it was not compatible with the the Avid HD Core Audio Drivers for some third party applications like iTunes , YouTube, Soundcloud etc. but it did in fact actually still work with some 3rd party DAW apps like Reason and Studio One.
So for me at least it was not a matter being "unreliable" it was a matter of AVID finally getting around to rewriting and fixing the HD Core Audio Driver code so that it would work with all 3rd party apps (after 2 + years )

I do not have a 192 I have an OMNI and the above described work around did work by coming out of my Mac and into my Omni via the optical connections and choosing SPDIF digital

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
...I do not have a 192 I have an OMNI and the above described work around did work by coming out of my Mac and into my Omni via the optical connections and choosing SPDIF digital
Regarding you passing S/PDIF Optical thru the Omni, does the optical signal still pass thru your Omni when Pro Tools is closed, or must PT be open with a "track" open routing the Optical thru the Omni?

If the optical does pass thru your Omni, even with PT closed, do you recall the manner of setting up your PT I/O to permit this functionality?

Thanks a lot,

John Caldwell
Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM

It'll come through the Omni with Pro Tools closed. You have to setup the mixer in the Omni controls within Pro Tools. That mixer is separate from Pro Tools operation.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 PM

¥es what BScout said above if I remember correctly

Honestly I only tried it for a few days a long time ago an do not remember.

For my system the problem was on the Omni can only run two channels of digital SPTIF 1-2 or AES 1-2--- one or the other, not both and I use AES 1-2 for my Bricasti M7 .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...