Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Question upgrading from 002 to HD

Since I never had an HD system what equipment do I need to get me running on Pro Tools HD??
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Default Re: upgrading from 002 to HD

You need to dump the 002 and LE software, and besides the computer, need a whole new setup. How old is your computer? You need to be aware of its PCI bus type for the HD card/s. Research Digi site for info.
You need an HD package. This includes the PT HD software and iLok, There are 3 levels (HD1, HD2, HD3) and you then will need an interface (96 or 192, there are many more). They cost alot more than your 002 did. Look it up at sweetwater or the digi website, will have a ton of info to get you up to speed. MIDI is not available in HD interfaces, so you will need to get an aftermarket MIDI interface if you need one as well. Pre amps, like what is available to you in the 002, do not exist in HD interfaces. So, unless you have outboard pre amps, you need to purchase that as well. There is more involved in this, I am just keeping this easy to digest. I am sure others will post with more info. And, start researching on it, getting into this is not like your 002 LE system. Read up.

My advice to you, and what is more important at this point, would be to hold out a little while, to see what is taking place in the near future for PT HD. You do not want to spend a bundle, and be stuck at a crossroad later.

If you have the expendable funds, or buying for a full use studio and must hit that level for business, and serious client requests, well, then buy it. Sometimes your hands get tied.

Your better off staying 002 and native (kinda) for now I feel if you really do not need to move to full blown HD at this time.

You see, right now everything seems to be on the fence with what Pro Tools might turn into in the near future. Those who are HD set for years, have really no risk, to a point. But to move now, I would think is foolish. You can blame digi for no (I feel, My opinion only) truthful and forthcoming information about future PT rigs, that is why I advise you this way.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM

Hi!

In addition to above, you will have to get some kind of monitor controller. 002 has monitoring section built in the box while for example 96 and 192 do not.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekhan View Post
Hi!

In addition to above, you will have to get some kind of monitor controller. 002 has monitoring section built in the box while for example 96 and 192 do not.

Volume Controller
http://www.soundperformancelab.com/index.php?id=126&L=1
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Allen View Post
You need to dump the 002 and LE software, and besides the computer, need a whole new setup. How old is your computer? You need to be aware of its PCI bus type for the HD card/s. Research Digi site for info.
You need an HD package. This includes the PT HD software and iLok, There are 3 levels (HD1, HD2, HD3) and you then will need an interface (96 or 192, there are many more). They cost alot more than your 002 did. Look it up at sweetwater or the digi website, will have a ton of info to get you up to speed. MIDI is not available in HD interfaces, so you will need to get an aftermarket MIDI interface if you need one as well. Pre amps, like what is available to you in the 002, do not exist in HD interfaces. So, unless you have outboard pre amps, you need to purchase that as well. There is more involved in this, I am just keeping this easy to digest. I am sure others will post with more info. And, start researching on it, getting into this is not like your 002 LE system. Read up.

My advice to you, and what is more important at this point, would be to hold out a little while, to see what is taking place in the near future for PT HD. You do not want to spend a bundle, and be stuck at a crossroad later.

If you have the expendable funds, or buying for a full use studio and must hit that level for business, and serious client requests, well, then buy it. Sometimes your hands get tied.

Your better off staying 002 and native (kinda) for now I feel if you really do not need to move to full blown HD at this time.

You see, right now everything seems to be on the fence with what Pro Tools might turn into in the near future. Those who are HD set for years, have really no risk, to a point. But to move now, I would think is foolish. You can blame digi for no (I feel, My opinion only) truthful and forthcoming information about future PT rigs, that is why I advise you this way.

I guess you know some inside information that will change pro tools HD which is why I should hold off. To be honest, now probably isn't the time to upgrade, i was just curious what I would be looking at. While I like the DIGI 002 I see it's limits and for me the biggest limit is the hazy sound it gets, which maybe I should go for the Black Lion mod?? My only concern with that is again it's about $1250, unless anybody has any other solutions??