Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Default Kontakt 5 multiple outputs in PT12

I'm having trouble getting all of the outputs I assign in an instance of Kontakt 5 running as an instrument in PT 12.5. I set up a few instruments and 8 stereo outputs in Kontakt. Saved the session, closed the session, reopened the session.

I have created 8 instrument tracks in my PT session. The first has Kontakt as an insert and it by default is the audio output of the first stereo output from Kontakt(st.1). The remaining seven instrument tracks are for the other outputs of Kontakt. I should be able to go their input field and select 'plug-ins - Kontakt 5 - st.3, st.4, etc...' but when I go to assign their inputs, I get 1 additional stereo track (st.2) and the 4 aux outputs. Missing are stereo outputs 3 through 8.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 5 multiple outputs in PT12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmmik View Post
I'm having trouble getting all of the outputs I assign in an instance of Kontakt 5 running as an instrument in PT 12.5. I set up a few instruments and 8 stereo outputs in Kontakt. Saved the session, closed the session, reopened the session.

I have created 8 instrument tracks in my PT session. The first has Kontakt as an insert and it by default is the audio output of the first stereo output from Kontakt(st.1). The remaining seven instrument tracks are for the other outputs of Kontakt. I should be able to go their input field and select 'plug-ins - Kontakt 5 - st.3, st.4, etc...' but when I go to assign their inputs, I get 1 additional stereo track (st.2) and the 4 aux outputs. Missing are stereo outputs 3 through 8.

Any thoughts?
One of the surest ways I've found to have your Instrument tracks or MIDI tracks in PT to point to Kontakt instruments is to enable 'instruments' view in the PT edit screen and do the routing there. Setting up the 8 outputs in Kontakt isn't easy when configuring the Kontakt mixer and the info that NI has is wrong in spots.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
One of the surest ways I've found to have your Instrument tracks or MIDI tracks in PT to point to Kontakt instruments is to enable 'instruments' view in the PT edit screen and do the routing there. Setting up the 8 outputs in Kontakt isn't easy when configuring the Kontakt mixer and the info that NI has is wrong in spots.
The most important thing once you've set up your extra outputs in the Kontakt mixer is to save it as your default setup, so you always get it in future whenever you load up Kontakt.

Here's a simple quick and dirty way to set up your multiple outputs in Kontakt ....

Just load up Kontakt (in Pro Tools or another DAW, not standalone) and then load in, say, 16 sound patches. Now, in the Kontakt mixer, in the 'Presets/Batch Configuration' drop down menu, choose "Batch Functions", and then choose "Clear output section and create one individual channel for each loaded instrument".

This will give you a simple set of 16 stereo outputs, plus the default 4 auxes, a good starting point.

Doing this will name each Kontakt output to reflect the name of each library patch you have loaded. I suggest you rename them to st.1, st.2 etc so they are suitably named as default names.

Now, going back into 'Presets/Batch Configuration' again, choose "Save current output section state as default for" and, unless you do want totally different setups for different DAWs choose "All Formats". This will now be your default Kontakt mixer setup in all DAWs and standalone.

Otherwise repeat this for each format (VST, AU, AAX, Standalone etc.), if you want different Kontakt mixer configs for different DAWs. You can save each format from within a single DAW version, you don't have to reload up Kontakt in each DAW to do that.

PS ... If you then run the standalone version and you do not have a multi out interface, Kontakt mixer outputs 2-16 will just have their hardware outputs unassigned, and all patches you load up will route to mixer output 1, which should automatically have been set to hardware outputs 1/2.

Actually, just reading what I posted ... of course whenever you load up a patch in Kontakt, it will automatically route to the first Kintakt mixer channel by default. You have to change that by altering the Output using the drop down in the main display for the patch, just below the patch name, just above where you set the MIDI channel that the patch will respond to.

Hope that helps.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 08-04-2016 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Edited PS, added 2nd para to it
Old 09-20-2017, 02:21 AM

I got everything to work up to the point of selecting one of the "plug-in" inputs in the new audio/aux channels in the PT mixer. For the input path selector menu, a submenu now shows up underneath buses labeled "plug-ins", but it is greyed out.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:47 AM

I don't understand why they have to make it so difficult in Kontakt. The number of times I've found myself swearing at it....
Old 09-20-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHarmonson View Post
I got everything to work up to the point of selecting one of the "plug-in" inputs in the new audio/aux channels in the PT mixer. For the input path selector menu, a submenu now shows up underneath buses labeled "plug-ins", but it is greyed out.
You're using the wrong track. Your wording is confusing but I'm guessing you want to send MIDI to a Kontakt input channel right? If so here's they way to do that:
For the first Kontakt MIDI input I host Kontakt in an Instrument track; that gives you a place for the MIDI which is automatically routed to the first MIDI channel in Kontakt and a place to host Kontakt itself.

For the next Kontakt MIDI input I create a MIDI track and route the output of that track to the second Kontakt MIDI channel.

For the audio outputs of Kontakt by default they all go to one output. You can separate them but then you also have to create those outputs in the Kontakt mixer. And don't forget to create the requisite number of aux or audio tracks to receive the audio output from the individual channels in Kontakt. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to create the needed output.cfg file.

If you want it I've created a pair of output.cfg files for Kontakt to give 8 and 16 channel outputs to PT. Email me if you want them as one can't attach files to a forum post or a PM. Here's a link to a page on the Native Instruments site on how to make the output.cfg file; it's not the easiest thing to work with and it took some trial & error to get it right. That's why I suggest checking YouTube or even Google. https://support.native-instruments.c...cles/209584509

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You're using the wrong track. Your wording is confusing but I'm guessing you want to send MIDI to a Kontakt input channel right?
Nope - I don't have any problems with Kontakt reading the midi putting out audio to the main stereo bus.

Quote:
If so here's they way to do that:
For the first Kontakt MIDI input I host Kontakt in an Instrument track; that gives you a place for the MIDI which is automatically routed to the first MIDI channel in Kontakt and a place to host Kontakt itself.

For the next Kontakt MIDI input I create a MIDI track and route the output of that track to the second Kontakt MIDI channel.

For the audio outputs of Kontakt by default they all go to one output. You can separate them but then you also have to create those outputs in the Kontakt mixer. And don't forget to create the requisite number of aux or audio tracks to receive the audio output from the individual channels in Kontakt. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show how to create the needed output.cfg file.

If you want it I've created a pair of output.cfg files for Kontakt to give 8 and 16 channel outputs to PT. Email me if you want them as one can't attach files to a forum post or a PM. Here's a link to a page on the Native Instruments site on how to make the output.cfg file; it's not the easiest thing to work with and it took some trial & error to get it right. That's why I suggest checking YouTube or even Google. https://support.native-instruments.c...cles/209584509
I went through a couple of YouTube videos, the NI tutorial, and a number of explanations on forums and didn't find anything that addressed the issue I am having. I set up the output.cfg file and it seems to be loading fine and creating the outputs to use in aux/audio channels. The problem I have is that the menu that is created (labeled "plug-in" which is directly below the audio inputs, "interface", and bus inputs, "bus") in the "Audio Input Path selector" in the aux/audio channels is greyed out.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 PM

The menu became available. I have no clue what caused it do show up.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHarmonson View Post
The menu became available. I have no clue what caused it do show up.
What exact process were you trying to do? Give us a step-by-step run down as your original description is confusing. You may still be having issues. Did you take a look at what I wrote earlier? The only hard part (other than understanding the routing in PT) is getting the mixer in Kontakt to spit things out how you want them. Like I said the output.cfg files I have will make it easy to take care of that part.

QAPLA!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
What exact process were you trying to do? Give us a step-by-step run down as your original description is confusing. You may still be having issues. Did you take a look at what I wrote earlier? The only hard part (other than understanding the routing in PT) is getting the mixer in Kontakt to spit things out how you want them. Like I said the output.cfg files I have will make it easy to take care of that part.
I basically did variations of the "turning off, then on again" trouble shooting trick. Removing kontakt plug-in then putting it back on, restarting PT, restarting computer, reopening custom output config file, etc.