Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 04-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Default Control24 and ProControl with AAX32

Hello,
I'm trying to find a second hand Control24 or 24 channels ProControl, but some questions still remain when using them with ProTools HD 10.

So, for both models:

1) Does the new AAX Plug-In Format introduced with HD 10 (AAX32) is supported (recognized) by these controllers ?
Like the Avid Channel Strip (system 5) or the others stock AAX32 plugins ?

2) Does the change from RTAS to Native and TDM to DSP have an effect on these controllers ?

3) Is it up to the plugin's developer to code the support of a specific control surface, or is it mandatory for every developers and written in the RTAS/AAX32 SDK chart ?
I mean:
- If a plugin used to work in RTAS, will it work in AAX32 ?
- If a RTAS plugin works, do all RTAS will ?
- If an AAX32 plugin works, do all AAX32 will ?

Now, some extra questions:

4) On both controllers, is it possible to bring to the faders only a group of tracks and switch between several groups ?

5) Are there known issues with them on PT HD10 ? (Transport, faders, jog scrub/shuttle, flip to send, all automation modes, zoom...)

On Procontrol, I'm aware of the flip to send bug (with more than 8 characters), but that's all....

Thank you for any help,
Loudy.
192 I/O |
Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Control24 and ProControl with AAX32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudyman View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to find a second hand Control24 or 24 channels ProControl, but some questions still remain when using them with ProTools HD 10.

So, for both models:

1) Does the new AAX Plug-In Format introduced with HD 10 (AAX32) is supported (recognized) by these controllers ?
Like the Avid Channel Strip (system 5) or the others stock AAX32 plugins ?

2) Does the change from RTAS to Native and TDM to DSP have an effect on these controllers ?

3) Is it up to the plugin's developer to code the support of a specific control surface, or is it mandatory for every developers and written in the RTAS/AAX32 SDK chart ?
I mean:
- If a plugin used to work in RTAS, will it work in AAX32 ?
- If a RTAS plugin works, do all RTAS will ?
- If an AAX32 plugin works, do all AAX32 will ?

Now, some extra questions:

4) On both controllers, is it possible to bring to the faders only a group of tracks and switch between several groups ?

5) Are there known issues with them on PT HD10 ? (Transport, faders, jog scrub/shuttle, flip to send, all automation modes, zoom...)

On Procontrol, I'm aware of the flip to send bug (with more than 8 characters), but that's all....

Thank you for any help,
Loudy.

Hi,

99% of plugins whether TDM RTAS or AAX work and are mapped for the rotary encoders on the control 24, a very few are not mapped on the encoders or are too complex to use on the rotary encoders.

there was no change from TDM and RTAS. simply AAX 32 native was added and the AAX will be used if both AAX and RTAS are installed.

Yes its up the the developer to make sure their plugs work with the controllers mapping, but as mentioned a few didn't focus on it very well and all you get is unnamed parameters which make it difficult. but there's only a few like this.

Q4? well this would have to be done in PT as the controller just maps what is set in the pro tools mixer.

Q5? no issues i can think of.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Great ! Thank you Chris ,

So, is it the same for ProControl, does anyone know ?

I need to make a decision between these two or ............ artist serie.
192 I/O |
Old 04-05-2018, 11:07 AM

I use the Pro Control with PT10HD native with RME UFX, works great. Some third party plugs don't map well but I just avoid them (try before you buy).
Track pad on Pro Control only works on Windows rigs.
Manage large sessions with memory locations (no time) in combo with show/hide tracks and window config. My studio is equipped with Mac and Windows rigs and Pro Control works great with either.
Nothing to do with controllers but recommend Running PT10.3.6 or later as there were changes to AAX and some plugs will not work in earlier versions of PT10.3.xx
Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
I use the Pro Control with PT10HD native with RME UFX, works great. Some third party plugs don't map well but I just avoid them (try before you buy).
Track pad on Pro Control only works on Windows rigs.
Manage large sessions with memory locations (no time) in combo with show/hide tracks and window config. My studio is equipped with Mac and Windows rigs and Pro Control works great with either.
Nothing to do with controllers but recommend Running PT10.3.6 or later as there were changes to AAX and some plugs will not work in earlier versions of PT10.3.xx
Alright, thanks a lot for the info.

Now my biggest concern is to find spare parts for these controllers in Europe if I need to replace a fader, a pcb or the power supply...
But on the other hand, build quality of these units seems better than the artist serie.

Thanks again.
192 I/O |
Old 04-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Alright, thanks a lot for the info.

Now my biggest concern is to find spare parts for these controllers in Europe if I need to replace a fader, a pcb or the power supply...
But on the other hand, build quality of these units seems better than the artist serie.

Thanks again.
Most definitely better built than Artist series.
Faders are serviceable and encoders and motors are still made as of last year. The continuous belt may be difficult to source although I purchased a couple spares from ebay. Complete spare faders can still be found on ebay.
All the problems I've had with faders were solved by careful cleaning and not one has failed (knock on wood).
PSU is generic and last time I checked still available. Most of the problems with power supplies have been with cold solder joints according to a tech in California who serviced them.
I would say that the biggest complaint with the Pro Control is the analogue monitor section which is not that great. I read somewhere that the later versions are better. I don't use it.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Hi,
On the Control 24, can we do more than one thing at a time ?:

1) When a track's PAN/SEND switch is pressed,
is it possible to use the encoders to tweak sends' level or pan and still use the faders to control any tracks' level in the session ? (in the same or another 24 tracks bank)

2) When a track's INSERTS switch is pressed,
is it possible to use the encoders to adjust the parameters of a plugin and still use the faders to control any tracks' level in the session ? (in the same or another 24 tracks bank)

3) When Sends are flipped to the faders, is it possible to use the faders to adjust sends' level and use the encoders to adjust the parameters of any plugin in the session at the same time ?

Thank you
Loudy.
192 I/O |
Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Hi,

is it possible to use the encoders to tweak sends' level or pan and still use the faders to control any tracks' level in the session ? (in the same or another 24 tracks bank)

is it possible to use the encoders to adjust the parameters of a plugin and still use the faders to control any tracks' level in the session ? (in the same or another 24 tracks bank)

3) When Sends are flipped to the faders, is it possible to use the faders to adjust sends' level and use the encoders to adjust the parameters of any plugin in the session at the same time ?

Thank you
Loudy.
Anyone ?
192 I/O |
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
Loudy.
I guess that 1) and 2) are possible with the use of "Show names", but 3), I don't think so, can anyone confirm this please ?
192 I/O |
Old 04-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you
Loudy.

Hi,

Yes to 1 / 2 and 3

To spread the plugin on the encoders you press f10. works whatever the faders are doing

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.